Carputer Project!

veczar

• Gold Platinum Member
  • Member For: 19y 9m 23d

As I have completed the hardest stages of my XR6T's Audio Visual project I decided to post up some details and photos. I will leave out the photos of the cut and bruised knuckles and the soldering iron imprinted foot.

The summary (for those lazy sods who dont like reading) is that I have finished the first few (main) stages which include custom sub install and notebook displaying on the BA ICC screen. This can be used for many things including music videos, MP3s, DVD/DIVX, PC games, GPS/SatNav, internet etc etc. Its turns on via a switch on my fuse panel (will be changed so it turns on when I unlock my car) and off when the key has been out for 10 mins. The normal ICC controls (heater, volume etc) come over-layed on the screen when one of the buttons on the ICC is pressed.

There is also and on off button on the fuse panel to change the BA ICC screen from normal to carbook mode.

post-4529-1164370619_thumb.jpgpost-4529-1164370710_thumb.jpgpost-4529-1164370887_thumb.jpgpost-4529-1164371035_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics Gary/EvilDaufu...

Stage One: The premium sub and amp in the BA-BF sucks and is only comparable to some decent aftermarket 6x9's. The only part of this project I did not do myself was construsct the custom box, I got a mate to do this for me as he knows all about the required capacities and porting for sub enclosures. The main advantages of the style of sub setup I chose are that it doesn't limit the use of my boot and also keeps a neat semi-stealth look. I originally had Sony equipment but I changed to the new Alpine stuff.

Basic tech details are hi input taken from the rear speakers converted to low output into the mono amp. The remote amp on line was taken from an unused trailer line rewired at the fuse panel to become and acc line. One tip I strongly give for those doing any car AV project is: Do not underestimate the importance of proper grounding. My sub had major quality issues until I put in a 60cm 4GA ground line (as opposed to my original thiner 2m ground).

Stage Two: carBook, same as a carputer only its a notebook :P This project was more difficult than I have time to write here as problems never stopped popping up! Ill just write some basic info below;

2.1 was proof of concept. This took one weekend to get the basic concepts mapped out and my laptop video car outputting onto the BA ICC screen. I could not seem to get the sync, res, refresh, interlace etc options correct. Finally I got the settings working but I had the issue that when I turned the car off then on the screen would scroll to a dodge position. Fun fun but finally I got working just before I went blind. PM Panda for one of his cables! Also, thanks Panda for your help along the way!

2.2. was the physical carbook install. I made a painted aluminum harness that I bolted and riveted to the rear of the rear right seat (only one hole in the seat from an unko drilling moment by my brother but it's behind the cup holder so no-one will ever see it). The carbook is suspended in foam to absorb bumps that could damage the hard drive. There is less and 10mm left above and below the laptop that's how tight the fit is!

2.3 was a cover for the carbook as I didnt want people to see a laptop in my boot. I used a mesh material that is full of holes to allow the notebook fans to work yet it is not see thru from above due to the angle of the holes. Its similar to what a lot of ricer cars use for the front grill.

2.4 was to run the audio, remote-on line and usb line to the front of the car thru the passenger side panels. I made my own audio cable using neutrik connectors and expensive canare cable. The remote-on line I use a phone cable so I could easily disconnect the laptop from the car. A second line is soldered to a little plug on the laptop from the on button. I am using a wireless mouse for most of the input at the moment (receiver is under the seat) but this will change to involve other devices eg remote and touchscreen shortly.

2.5 was to run a negative, positive and another line (for changing laptop between battery and AC power) on the drive side panels to the car battery. I installed the DC-AC inverter with metal brackets behind the sub box along with the laptops power suply. I originally tried to use different types of DC laptop chargers but these made the screen flicker due to some sort of ground loop through the VGA cable. ShockF6 helped me considerably in this stage by offering his electrical expertise and an ear for me to complain to. Thanks mate I couldn't have done it without ya!! We tried to fix the screen flicker at different points in the system with combinations of capacitors, filters, inductors, resistors and different inverters. Finally we came up with an acceptable setup that is not perfect yet (when the laptop is charging) but is acceptable as most people do not notice the slight flicker that is left.

2.5 was the switch panel. All but one of the nine switches is now in use. Im saving the last one for NOS or a James bond style revolving number plate. Most of the switches are on relays so they only work when car is going or on acc. I also got a 'shockBox' to fix the audio whine issue. PM ShockF6 for one of his shockBoxen as they work amazingly :) <plug> It is worth every penny and more. Buy one today for only $99.97 and get free installation help! </plug>.

2.6 was to put the T back together and clean out all the metal fragments, sawdust etc :D

Stage Three: This involves the software side of the CarBook. DVD's, DIVX and MP3's are fully working. The bulk of the time I use the CarBook to play my MP3's while the ICC screen is displaying full-screen winamp AVS visualizations (of which I have installed hundreds of them). I have some games (Age of Empires, Full throttle, Risk, Street Rod, Stunts, Theme hospital, Civ IV, etc) but I am still working on making more full screen games work. I am also experimenting with carputer front ends.

In the near future the next stages include touch screen overlay (high priority), replace speakers (high priority), DVD drive below the ICC for easy access, unlock switch on, GPS/SatNav, WarDrive setup, rear headrest screens (low priority), 2nd sub and amp identical mirror to the current one, remote control and amps for speakers.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 5d

Veczar,

Great work, but did you consider puting the notebook under the passengers seat ?

I have a IBM notebook with DVD that is perfect for this type of fitment, but I want to install it in the cabin, so I can pull it out and use the notebook screen when I want.

What have u used for a mouse/kb ?

I was gonna go for a bluetooth solution.

It looks like a great setup, I just need to get off my butt and get mine done.

• Gold Platinum Member
Veczar,

Great work, but did you consider puting the notebook under the passengers seat ?

I have a IBM notebook with DVD that is perfect for this type of fitment, but I want to install it in the cabin, so I can pull it out and use the notebook screen when I want.

What have u used for a mouse/kb ?

I was gonna go for a bluetooth solution.

It looks like a great setup, I just need to get off my butt and get mine done.

Mouse I currently use a wireless one with the receiver under the seat. I use an on-screen KB, I will be putting one in glove box soon as well as replacing mouse with remote and touch screen.

I did seriously consider putting it under the seat but the main reason was the fact I knew it would get broken no matter how much I harp at passengers to be careful. Here are some more negatives of under-seat carputers:

<stolen>

# There is no place to properly ground anything underneath the seat. Most people would try and use the seat bracket bolts. These are not good grounding points for a few reasons.

- Usually these bolts are covered in grease, grit, or grime, thus making the ground a bad ground.

- These same bolts are usually covered in paint, as is the threaded part that the bolt goes into.

- Those mounting points usually have carpet underneath them, meaning that the ground is not solid.

# That dirt, grit, and grime got there somehow. That same dirt, grit, and grime will get in whatever piece of electronic equipment you put underneath the seat.

# Cokes, fries, onions, chili cheese dogs, cheetos, twizlers, etc. all end up under the seats. Do you really want that right next to your expensive electronic equipment?

# If passengers can see it, they will mess with it. I know that we all like to think we can trust our friends. The fact of the matter is that people are curious. If they see a bunch of wires sticking out they will play with them. Not only will you risk having your passengers pulling things apart, you also risk them shocking themselves. Though you might think “Good, they deserve it then”, you can still be held liable. Sucks, but that’s the truth.

# Even if you ask people to watch their feet, it’s like a magnet. Their feet will find their way under the seat. In doing, so they will break wires, break solders on boards, and introduce all kinds of foreign objects from their shoes that you don’t want around electronics.

# The seat moves, you can try all you can think of, but it moves. There are things beneath the seat that will catch wires and pull them out. Moving pieces are never a good thing to mount next to or around unless you have the proper materials, and 9 times out of 10, you won't.

</stolen>

Edited by veczar

• Member of team Kittens
  • Member For: 20y 1m 26d

great post Tim - very informative and detailed... Man you have seriously put some work into it!

Would love to do something similar, but doubt I would have the patience to go through all of that!

great stuff mate! :spoton:

cheers,

Ben.

• Gold Platinum Member
great post Tim - very informative and detailed...  Man you have seriously put some work into it!

Would love to do something similar, but doubt I would have the patience to go through all of that!

great stuff mate!  :spoton:

cheers,

Ben.

Thanks Ben,

You would also have to 'use' your suspension a little less as the caning it got when we were going through the mountains would really test a hard-drive :clap:

Happy to help if you ever want to do it! :Sug1:

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 13d

For everyone reading this thread, I saw it up in Jindabyne and was blown away with what Tim had achieved. My workmates mentioned a webcam might be useful for Skype and those "Top Gear" YouTube grabs :spit:

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 24d

Or just recording you doing naughty stuff on the back seat!

Tim, from what I understand there isn't a touch screen overlay the same size as the screen in the ICC.