Zf 6-speed Auto Problems

Romulus

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 24d

Continuing on from another thread, it may be worthwhile listing who's having problems with their A6. Please state:

How much power is your car making

What occured

Any strange sounds etc

Was the trans being shifted manually/driven in normal mode/SSS mode

I've noticed mine makes a screaming noise if I take-off from standstill and keep pulling the selector through the gears before the tcc locks up. Noise happens in 4th gear. Also, I have a slight squeel when shifting from 3-4 at WOT with over 330rwkw. Other than that, trans is fine.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 24d
It screams and squeels but is fine :laughing:

I should clarify, it squeels when attempting to lock the converter in 4th gear. What is occuring is that I am shifting through the gears before the lockup strategy enables. By the time it does, and engine speed vs. vehicle speed is met the trans attempts to lock the converter, but because there is so much load on the clutches it has difficulties, and makes a noise.

My solution is not to do something the trans wasn't designed to do :spoton:

I've spoken to my Ford guys and have been told the ZF's can be noisy when shifting gears under load. The trans doesn't have any issues running stock power outputs.

But I've never experienced gear-lockout or limp mode like some others have experienced.

Edited by M6 XR6T

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d
It screams and squeels but is fine :spoton:

I should clarify, it squeels when attempting to lock the converter in 4th gear. What is occuring is that I am shifting through the gears before the lockup strategy enables. By the time it does, and engine speed vs. vehicle speed is met the trans attempts to lock the converter, but because there is so much load on the clutches it has difficulties, and makes a noise.

My solution is not to do something the trans wasn't designed to do :spoton:

I've spoken to my Ford guys and have been told the ZF's can be noisy when shifting gears under load. The trans doesn't have any issues running stock power outputs.

But I've never experienced gear-lockout or limp mode like some others have experienced.

what about the experience with Gregs ute at kwinana...?

Edited by hiddeous

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 4m 20d
what about the experience with Gregs ute at kwinana...?

Hi Luke, Mine only Holds second gear if I have two much wheel spin using crap tires. With T1R's and/or MT Street radials its fine as it’s doesn’t spin to the extent that influences the transmission to hold second. (Only when in auto mode).

After some testing it would appear this is an ABS function for safety reasons and I can simulate it at will.

Mine still runs sweet as a nut >> Touch wood :blink:

• 3 years later...
  • Member For: 16y 8m 20d

My ZF just pooped itself last night at Benaraby. Havn't got it apart yet but seems like a bearing on the input side. Pick revs up it sounds fine but sitting at idle sounds like someone threw steel balls inside. I can feel a rebuild coming on. Car was running 320rwkw on stock tyres and happened when I backed off in the burnout. Starting to not feel so confident about these ZF's when the BA 4sp could rip skids all day with similar power and no signs of worry. Not Happy Jan.