Raced An Xr5

MUZ580

• Member For: 17y 11m 28d

Was coming back from a weekend away and wedding up the central coast of NSW yesterday and got passed by a blue XR5 Turbo going flat out. I think it was from Alto Ford with stickers on it saying “Catch me if you canâ€

I chased and caught up and had a good little race away from lights and weaving through traffic (not breaking the speed limit once of course!)

Must say that I was pretty impressed on how good it went, especially through the city traffic. No match for my 300+ rwkw but still looked like he was having fun giving it a right thrashing.

Might have to take one for a test drive this weekend!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 11d

4wd would make them a fair bit heavioer and a sh*t load more expensive. I rekon they are pretty good as they are. Not having a go Fat, just my thouhgts.

Scotty

• Member For: 17y 6m 24d

The xtra weight would be more than offset by the much more efficient use of the power. FWD looses way too much drive in wheel spin, and the torque steer can be lethal. Also, for the FWDs to combat torque steer they are generally set up with much lower boost in 1st gear, then some limiting in 2nd and not full boost until 3rd. A 4WD can have full boost from the get go. Finally, a powerful FWD doesn't allow you to steer and use the car's power at the same time.

Sorry, but I can't see any advantages of only having FWD over 4WD.

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 11d

I understand all that, but I dont think this is the cae with XR5, by all accounts it is a beautifully balanced car. Aimed at a reasonable market. It is no STI or Evo killer. But will tempt your Golf GTI, wrx crew etc.

Scotty

Trust me!!!

When I was at a Ford Dealership, the little thing was never at the dealership...I've never seen smiles appear quicker on the face of drivers...ever.

The car was test driven with me 21 times in a week!!!

I'd take an arm full of business cards and get the driver to go for a dash through Kings Cross...hand cards out...they come in wanting an XR5 "no sir none available, but here we have an XR6Turbo"

SOLD!

Can't match XR6T for power...but so fun to drive. Now if they can only get around the 25 vehicles per months delivery issue from the Europe!

• Member For: 17y 11m 6d

Once you are up and going in the XR5 it does a great job of holding it's own against most company. The AWD system would make it launch a lot better 'coz as it is it's an absolute dog off the line.

An XR6T and myself were having a bit of fun down the freeway here last week and all was pretty even - I imagine he was un-modded.

A had a (very slightly) modded 350Z before the XR5 and once up and running my (edited) XR5 feels quicker than the Zed was.

Beside all that - it's always good to see someone having a go. I don't think it matters who wins or loses, it's the fun that counts.

Edited by 1 Short