Raced An Xr5

MUZ580

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 2m 8d

Personally I am a shocker with cars. Had 81 of them and I am 43, and not a car dealer.

Hmm a Sigma. Suprisingly many years ago I was looking for a Sigma turbo. Back when they were considered quick.

Been there on the WRX too. Suprisingly people used to panic when I drove it hard. But it is a WRX, you should look after it. My take on that was "It is here for a good time, not a long time".

Had the XR6 turbo for a couple of years too. Got over it, as I do all the cars I have owned.

Suprisngly of all the cars I have owned I kinda miss my hot EH I had when I was 20. Also I have to buy a V6 Capri GT someday. Had a thing for them for years and never bought one. Nostalgia :D

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 11d

yep, takes me back too. I'm similar age to you and my dream was to soup up either a EH Wagon or an HR. ended up with a charger 265 with 3 x 2 barrel webbers. Sigma turbo- wasn't that the peter wherret special ?

Cheers, geoff

• Member For: 17y 10m 20d

peter wherret special was a 2.6 na, turbo was 2 litre was a great handling car easy to drive at high speeds. but it was a lag monster 15 lbs meth, water injection no intercooler and no lsd but it still claimed a few scalps

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 11d

Yeah now I remember, two tone paint job on turbos. think the wherrets might have even had 4 wheel discs and recaros.

Cheers

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 15y 5m 19d

Yeah now I remember, two tone paint job on turbos. think the wherrets might have even had 4 wheel discs and recaros.

Cheers

and those rims.... oh how I loved those rims. had a set on my sigma and scorpion dumped. Loved it.

• 11 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 1m 1d

I have an XR5 with ECU flash, brings the power up nicely. They aren't as easy to get power out of as the XR6T obviously, but the reason I blame mostly is the turbo. It is small.

Coming from jap imports, power is much easier to get out of an SR20 or to be fair, they are similar to an RB25. It's the turbo size holding them back, but the benefit of this is, boost comes on VERY early and it hardly feels like a turbo, compared to what I've come out of.

Everyone who says FWD is a problem is bang on. It REALLY is. Boost is limited in first and second and it needs to be. After the ECU flash, it's only pushing about 155FWKWs maybe 160, but struggles to get traction with expensive tyres.

Having said that, once it's rolling, it's good. Had a little accelerate next to another car also accelerating... boss 260 falcon and I'd say there wasn't a great deal between the two. and at the risk of getting flamed, I felt that, had we broken the law, which we didn't and gone to third gear, I would have started to hit big boost ( thanks to the flash ) and started pulling away. He also would have destroyed me off the mark if he wanted too, but both rolled slow at the start.

AWD may have cost more, but it would be well worth it. Just look at 0-100 times of XR5 vs RS vs RS500... as they increase the power, it doesn't matter, they still can't get a good time off the mark because they all battle with traction.

ps- I've put my XR5 back to stock tune to see what it was like... the flash makes a HUGE difference, much like it would in any turbo car.