Eratic Idle

willow

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 7m 11d
just going over this one again because it is really starting to piss me off at the lights.

the idle hunts between 650 and 700 rpm and when braking up to a set of lights with the clutch in drops as low as 250 then jumps to 1k then back down again..

if it was an auto it would stall for sure.

checked the tb a month or so ago and its clean as a whistle.

any new ideas on this one people?

that's EXACTLY what my old NA ute done... when getting off the gas for a set of lights it nearly stalls, then hunts for the revs just jumping and dipping... took it to ford twice they foundf nothing. so I took it for a drive until it done it again and I took it strait to ford WITHOUT TURNING THE IGNITION OFF, get them to bring the computer thing out and check it. guarntee'd it will bring up a TPS error. they will replace on warranty.

just dont turn the car off, or it wont show. :blush:

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

I got told by ford that they where either $80 or $180 i cant remember which.... :Doh: If you can get a part number i can try and get a better price through conventrys.. :blush: I've been told be several ford mechs that the only way to change it is when the car is hot because the little tiny screws that hold to sensor on are thread lock and the heat in the throttle body softens the the thread lock so you can get them out without stripping the screw... :Doh:

• Member For: 18y 11m 9d

ok, cars back from 60km service performed by reputable local mechanic. had the three maintenance issues addressed - lubricate electronic solenoid, tighten exhaust manifold and clean throttle body.

Throttle body was filthy, exhaust manifold was slightly loose and electric solenoid was in need of WD40 :D did a full oil & filter change.

idle now is near perfect, doesn't hunt thru the revs any more. however, due to the carbon buildup in the throttle body it has contaminated the oxy sensor and is throwing up error codes. doesn't affect idle as such, but will affect fuel economy. $330 for a new one :P dang!

hope this helps anyone with a similar problem!

• Member For: 17y 7m 13d
I got told by ford that they where either $80 or $180 I cant remember which.... :Doh:  If you can get a part number I can try and get a better price through conventrys.. :laughing:  I've been told be several ford mechs that the only way to change it is when the car is hot because the little tiny screws that hold to sensor on are thread lock and the heat in the throttle body softens the the thread lock so you can get them out without stripping the screw... :Doh:

you use a soldering to heat the heads of the screws up or careful use of a heat gun

when the engine is colder. :spoton:

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 28d

would a blocked oxy sensor cause any other problems through the rev range?

I think mine is the tps because occasionally when cruising the car will drop or pick up speed without me moving my foot..

everyone think tps is my problem?