willow

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• XR68UZ
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 14d
just going over this one again because it is really starting to piss me off at the lights.

the idle hunts between 650 and 700 rpm and when braking up to a set of lights with the clutch in drops as low as 250 then jumps to 1k then back down again..

if it was an auto it would stall for sure.

checked the tb a month or so ago and its clean as a whistle.

any new ideas on this one people?

my cars exactly the same when I run my 8psi tune. I have an auto so it stalls. 10psi is fine however, though ive had the idle raised

• Member For: 21y 4m 15d

My idle was perfect, then I got an Edit.

He asked if I had an idle problem, to which I answered 'No'.

He said I'll up the idle speed anyway - that's the way we cure the eratic idles.

Now I get a hunting idle which doesn't seem to cause any dramas its just a pain in the :spoton:

Any ideas?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m

cheers..

will check all the manifold bolts but its not noisy at all. guess spark plugs is the next thing on the list so I'll see how easy it is to get to them otherwise see what a new set is worth!

thanks again

• Member For: 17y 7m 19d

It's been a factory standard thing since the introduction of the 4.0l.

I had and EL XR6 and after fitting an exhaust, extractors and pod filter I had someone try to tune it out, but couldn't. It even showed a dip at about 3000 rpm on the dyno. Changed plugsw, leads, filters, but no change.

My AU S pack was exactly the same, but a little bit smother.

My AUII XR6 Ute also had it. Did the same mods as the EL, but still did it a bit. I complained to Ford who adjusted it and made a bit of a difference but it still did it. It wasn't consistant, but would almost stall sometimes if I went to move off at the same time the idle was dipping.

The BF T I now have doesn't miss a beat and is 100 times smoother than the previous 4.0ls I've had. I'd think that with all of the tuning access available with the BA/BF, it should be possible for a tuner to fix it, expecially when it seems to be a random occurance going by the comments made here.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 7d

Hey Kieran,

I have had the same problem several times before.

First time, it took ages to figure out, we played with the tune, plugs, tb etc but no good. I finally cracked the sh!ts and took it back to ford and got them to read the error codes for the fourth time. They ended up deciding that it was the tps (Throttle Position Sensor) that was causing an error. They replaced it and it idled better than it ever has!

Only problem was that it happened about a year later (actually about a year and one day, so no warranty) I had the tps replaced again and all is good.

Might be worth checking.

Leigh

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m

thanks leigh..

what did they rip you for a new tps?

I also notice this morning that when cruising at 100 say, they backing off the throttle (not all the way) till there is still some pressure on it it splutters..

could this be the same thing?

cheers

• Member For: 18y 11m 12d

I've got the exact same problem with my 10/03 xrt 5spd... put the clutch in while rolling 20 - 40km/h and the revs start to hunt, 250rpm - 1000rpm occasionally stalling. always on 98RON, BP Ultimate 99% of the time. centre muffler removed, Typhoon CAI & K&N filter, turbosmart bov.

seems to behave a little better with the aircon on, but sometimes it'll just stall anyway. low end torque is horrid off the line, if I have 4ppl in the car, luggage and air con on, I might not be able to get off the mark without riding the clutch!

she's going in for a non-dealer service on tuesday, I'm asking to have the throttle body cleaned, electric solenoid cleaned & lubed and exhaust manifold tightened back to spec

I'm sure most of u guys have seen this thread

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=73561

I'll let u all know how it goes... failing that, it'll be getting edited (wanted to do it anyway) and see how nizpro goes with getting her running smooth again!

Edited by aphexer