Vin Decoder?

wiresquire

• Member For: 19y 4m 25d

Hi

I've been looking around at some xr6t's and am wondering if anyone has something like a VIN decoder?

There's a lot of ads where the damn things are described as XR6's or XR6T's are described as ordinary XR6s. Can anyone help with what to look for in the VIN or even engine number to save me stuffing around?

It'd also be helpful if there's a decoding of the other pieces of the VIN as well

Thanks

ws

Guest FatBAt
  • Guests
Hi

I've been looking around at some xr6t's and am wondering if anyone has something like a VIN decoder?

There's a lot of ads where the damn things are described as XR6's or XR6T's are described as ordinary XR6s. Can anyone help with what to look for in the VIN or even engine number to save me stuffing around?

It'd also be helpful if there's a decoding of the other pieces of the VIN as well

Thanks

ws

Have a look at this site

http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm

I tried my own but it didn't work (BUT) at least you will learn a little about how VIN's are broken up. The same is applied internationally apparently.

Look specifically at "Model Specific:" at position 4-8. Mine is ...AAAJG...

What is everyone elses?

I did an aussie search and apparently we are very big in the privacy dept. 3 identifiers are needed to do an online search of a vehicle.....sheeeesh.

Hope this helps

Cheers

• Member For: 19y 4m 25d

Thanks for that. It gave me some clues....

After doing a lot of searching it seems you can't identify a T by the VIN :boink:

The best info I found was at another forum. Eg, this page talks about VIN decoding.

So, for example, I'm guessing that 6FPAAAJGSW3J12345 break up looks like:

6FP : Ford Australia

AAA: As good as a blank.

J: Australia

G: Broadmeadows

SW: Sedan

3: 2003

J: Some month

12345: Serial number

They also had a fair bit of info on various engine, trim codes etc , but that's not part of the VIN, and not usually included in ads. I guess I will have to rely on the honesty of car dealers :wub:

Cheers

ws

• Member For: 19y 16d
They also had a fair bit of info on various engine, trim codes etc , but that's not part of the VIN, and not usually included in ads. I guess I will have to rely on the honesty of car dealers  :fool:

Cheers

ws

Hey that info was pretty useful, I was able to check some of those codes match what is on my NSW rego paper. The "Variant" is listed on my rego as 18335YK which is broken up by:

18335 = XR Sedan

Y = 4.0 DOHC VCT TURBO

K = 5 speed floor manual

Well I'm glad at least it was right! :spoton:

Ben

• 16 years later...