Problem When Going Into Reverse

FANTASY

• Member For: 17y 11m 28d

G'day everyone. My baby is a BF T so she has the ZF box.

My problem is when I put the car into reverse in the morning (this is the only time it has happened) she doesnt want to get going out of the garage (probably because its canberra and freezing at the moment...LOL). She stumbles and farts so I have to put her back into park wait about 10 seconds and away we go, no more problems. If I start her in the morning, wait 10-20 seconds she is ok, I can reverse her down the driveway and off to work.

Have taken her back twice, the first time she was re-flashed (blocked her eyes).

The second time nothing detected. Next time they are going to contact where she was born for advice.

Has anyone else with a ZF auto had the same problem and what was the fix?

• Member For: 17y 11m 11d

Mine seems to be OK in the morning. Maybe a little harsh on take off in low initianally on a cold morning, but has gone by the time I take off again at the end of the street. But then again this is sunny QLD ! I put it down to the fluid being cold & the box having clutches instead of bands. Have had mine checked out by transmission place & all is OK. (2000k's on clock). :spoton:

• Former XT pilot
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 4d

I dunno what the go is there..

My dads XR6T with the 4 speed takes ages to go into reverse. You have to accelorate slightly to get it to go into gear..

If I were you just take it back to the dealer.

• Long Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 10d
G'day everyone. My baby is a BF T so she has the ZF box.

My problem is when I put the car into reverse in the morning (this is the only time it has happened) she doesnt want to get going out of the garage (probably because its canberra and freezing at the moment...LOL). She stumbles and farts so I have to put her back into park wait about 10 seconds and away we go, no more problems. If I start her in the morning, wait 10-20 seconds she is ok, I can reverse her down the driveway and off to work.

Have taken her back twice, the first time she was re-flashed (blocked her eyes).

The second time nothing detected. Next time they are going to contact where she was born for advice.

Has anyone else with a ZF auto had the same problem and what was the fix?

I had the same problem with the BTR auto - replaced o2 sensor and it doesn't do it anymore. It happened more often if I put the car straight into reverse after starting. So perhaps get the o2 sensor checked out? Are you finding high fuel consumption as well?

• Member For: 17y 11m 28d

Thanks everyone for your responses. My son thought it might be the O2 sensor and suggested that to the dealer but they only flashed it. Next time I will suggest it again.

No fuel problems, only when the son drives it. LOL.

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 6m 23d

IM not sure bout most of you guys but I like to let the warm up a bit before I do anything.

Normally ill start it and wait for about 2 to 5 mins before I get going. I understand that the manual states that you dont have to but I reckon that little time needed allows everything to get fully lubricated (other than diff). I dont open it up untill its well over 1/4 temp..

My old man once had an EA station wagon. Again you didnt have to warm it up but he did and managed to get 330000 out of the car before he sold it.. It was also the original auto too

• Member For: 19y 7m 9d
IM not sure bout most of you guys but I like to let the warm up a bit before I do anything.

Normally ill start it and wait for about 2 to 5 mins before I get going. I understand that the manual states that you dont have to but I reckon that little time needed allows everything to get fully lubricated. I dont open it up untill its well over 1/4 temp..

good thinking there revhead, although my fiance starts whinging if I take too long warming her up before "getting going".

but tell me, whats your thoughts about starting your car on a cold morning?

Edited by drcook