Tutorial - Fitting An Aftermarket Deck To A Ba

bob^

• Member For: 20y 5m 20d

Alright I did a bit of work today on the car, and had the deck out to rewire it, so I took some photos as promised and here is the tutorial.

Please note: I’ve assumed you already know how to take the tissue box holder out, so I’m not going to get into that in this post.

Here is the best place to run the power cable if your car is an auto. To remove the grommet, simply push it through into the cabin, from the engine bay. The little tab on it is to help you put it back on if you need to.

Just drill a hole in the grommet.

If your car is manual, then obviously you can’t use this.

IMG_3081.JPG

When you remove the tissue box holder, you will see a plug behind it which goes to the cigarette lighter. Here is your source for GROUND and ACCESSORIES. Also taped to that loom is a light socket. There is your source for illumination if you wish to use that to dim your headunit.

IMG_3085.JPG

The other wire you see there wrapped in foam is the antenna wire. That is normally tucked up to the bottom of the ICC, just pull it down and you will find where it plugs into, so you can unplug it from the factory deck and plug it into your own.

When you cut the plug off, make sure you leave some wiring on it so you can attach it at a later date if need be.

You will see a plastic tab at the back of the consol, with a hole in it. Cutting that off helps with getting the deck in, especially if you have quite a few wires at the rear as I did.

That’s all there is when it comes to the wiring side. You will need to run your own CONSTANT power. Mine comes from a distro block I have under the seat. Just make sure, where-ever it comes from, that it is fused! I can’t stress that point enough.

To make the facia, get some 12mm MDF and cut it to shape as shown. 222mm on the top, 213mm on the bottom. I forgot to measure the height but you get the rough idea on how to build it.

IMG_3086.JPG

With a rectangle cut-out in the middle, you can mount the cradle that should have come with your deck. Just put it in place, and bend the tabs, as can be seen in the photos if you look closely.

IMG_3089.JPG

You can also see how it is fixed to the dash, with the copper wire screwed in to the back. In the last photo, you can see a hole in the side of the facia. That stops the facia from swinging on the copper wire mounts. They are positioned in such a way that the tissue box holder will cover up the holes you use in the consol for the facia.

The paint used for the facia is SNB 150 Desert Rose Met. The can is available from Autobarn and is a perfect match for the rest of the dash.

And here is the finished product. Hope this helps!

IMG_2902.JPG
Edited by bob^

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah its the same process to fit the TV.

To take out the power source, remove the panel around the shifter by pulling up. That will expose 2 screws to hold the plastic bits that run up from the cup holder, to half way up the ICC.

Then you will see 2 screws holding in the tissue box holder. On later models there arn't any screws, it just sort of clips in.

• 8 months later...
  • Donating doesnt allow you to be an idiot!
  • Member For: 17y 2m 6d

when you do this, because your taking the power source out, you cant have the cd/dvd player that your installing plus a power source am I right? Or is there a way u can have the power cource sitting somewhere so u can still plug things in? eg/charging gps

• F6 Phoon ----- MISH!!
  • Member For: 17y 2m 2d

How do u get speakers into this does the ICC have to be fully removed to get to to them so u can run the factory speaker wires down to the unit or are u piggy backing the headunit into the factory system?

Edited by WHITE WEAPON

You will need to relocate the power source if you wish to retain it. I suggest wiring up a plug under the dash somewhere, or under the front seats. Another option is to put it inside the centre console.

For the speakers, you will need to find the wires for them in the kick panels, and cut the wires. Then joining the wires from your headunit to the wires you have cut, insulating the ones that go to the ICC as they will no longer be used.

• Donating doesnt allow you to be an idiot!
  • Member For: 17y 2m 6d

I heard you could use a switch for the speakers? It is 2 switch with one set of wires going from stock system to it, one set going from after market set and the other wires from switch to where they usually go, so then u have a switch and u just flick it to what headunit your using... heard anything like that before?

That can be done with relays, but really, why would you want to?

The whole reason behind putting in an aftermarket deck is for its features, and because the factory one sucks. So why would you want to keep using it after going to the troubles of fitting another?