Custom Stereo Install

Paradoxx

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 16d
I have a decent amp and 2 12's and it sounds like crap.....nothing compared to when it ran off an alpine deck.

YOU NEED AN AFTERMARKET DECK TO MAKE ANY DECENT SOUND

haaa.... I know you agree Steve!!!!

Yep! me too. Once I put the Alpine deck in, and ran the front speakers from the headunit also(via an amp) it sounded 10X better.

I was surprised.

the reason you guys think the aftermarket head units are far better is because the ICC when modded to give you line level out is only giving you 1/2 a volt worth of signal. aftermarket head units can have up to 10v pre outs which basically means that the signal your feeding into the amp from the ICC is very low and subsequently you need to run the gain on the amp high to compensate. the 10v pre out (from good aftermarket head units) gives your amps plenty of signal and they will generally to preform better. Depending on the volume level your after this may or may not be an issue for you.

As was the case with the whine problem I also have the issue of the low output signal from the ASL modded ICC so I have designed a board that takes the .5v pre out and turns it into a 8v pre out.

im still waiting on the first run of the boards to come back from the manufacture but the prototype testing showed an amazing result. If anyone wants to listen to my ICC then you will understand what im saying. :spoton:

All I can say is I have used an alpine LLC off the rear speakers and my 2 12 inch S types sound (rap. Loudness is OK but the quality of the sound produced is really bad.

I'm using a mono block alpine V12 digital amp....I have played around with it (as has XXXR6T and Nang3 and we can't get it to sound good.

Please MTV pimp my ride.......actually just give me some bass. Sorry for the hijack but there seems to be some good info coming out that im sure your interested in XXXR6T. forgive me!!!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 7d

I reckon get yourself a seperate deck and mount it in the tissue box.. looks fine. and run all ya amps off that and the sound will be awsome..

I had a ported box in my old car.. it was very very loud with 2 type r 12's I now have a sealed box and its alot punchier!!! really good for any sort of music! if you listen to alot of rap or rnb then ported is always good as you get deep base... they do this for SPL comps.. well I am not 100% on that cause I dont know much about audio just from what I had in my cars.. sealed sounds good.. but I you have all the right dimenions ported can work very well 2!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 16d

I agree. at least with a good deck you have all the functionality. My old alpine deck cost me around 1000 bucks but it was so good it that if I bothered to read the instructions I reckon it could have cooked me bacon & eggs. My brother has an alpine TV in the tissue box with MB quart splits and that sounds awesome. He has a massive v12 amp in there waiting to run his 3 tyre R's (from his last car).......except its a ute (na ba XR) and he is yet to have a box made for even 1 sub!!!

It would be good to get the subs sounding good off the ICC but an aftermarket deck seems like the easier option!!

• Member For: 19y 7d

well aftermarket decks you can get for around 300 - 500 for a good one.. that will do everything you need! do you really want to pull out you icc and play with the boards on that! good luck with ford if anything electical is wrong with the car.. that is an expensive bit to replace.. and for me it was a mission just to change the face let alone solder it!

• Member For: 20y 5m 21d

the reason you guys think the aftermarket head units are far better is because the ICC when modded to give you line level out is only giving you 1/2 a volt worth of signal.  aftermarket head units can have up to 10v pre outs which basically means that the signal your feeding into the amp from the ICC is very low and subsequently you need to run the gain on the amp high to compensate. the 10v pre out (from good aftermarket head units) gives your amps plenty of signal and they will generally to preform better.  Depending on the volume level your after this may or may not be an issue for you.

As was the case with the whine problem I also have the issue of the low output signal from the ASL modded ICC so I have designed a board that takes the .5v pre out and turns it into a 8v pre out.

im still waiting on the first run of the boards to come back from the manufacture but the prototype testing showed an amazing result.  If anyone wants to listen to my ICC then you will understand what im saying. :spoton:

I had mine going through an Audiocontrol EQL which can provide 8V on the output. Engine noise was a big problem in my car and was only apparent in one channel. But that was even comming through the factory system.

With nothing changed except for the headunit, my engine noise went. So modifying my ICC wasn't something I really thought about much, due to how noisy the system is.

Plus the new deck can read mp3's off DVD, and displays everything on the ICC screen.

All that is left on my car is to get my steering wheel controls working. I've got it all working on a breadboard, just a matter of laying out a board for it when I get time.

• 12" member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m
Once again, what factory sub? (I dont have premium sound)

that's interesting about the signal output only being 0.5v... I would have thought it was better than that.

Heya ShockF6... got some instructions or diagram?

steve I reckon if you dont have premo sound best option would be to have a whole new system unless the ASL mod totally bypasses the ICC's filtering of the original audio signal otherwise you'll still have the incomplete/filtered signal from it reaching the subs.. $2-3k should be enough for a decently crankin system nowadays :spoton:

I have a decent amp and 2 12's and it sounds like crap.....nothing compared to when it ran off an alpine deck.

YOU NEED AN AFTERMARKET DECK TO MAKE ANY DECENT SOUND

no you dont..

I'm sure a few of you are familiar with JB HIFI... cos I work there selling car stereos all day long...

there are so many different ways you can set your BA/BF up...

in short, if you plan on running 4 speakers and a sub (or a few subs) of an amp, get yourself an AUDIOCONTROL LC6..

it has 3 speaker level inputs, one for front, one for rear and one for subs. yes this is a problem because you only have front and rear.. all you need to do is plug in your front and rear speaker wires and it converts in to 3 RCA outputs, front rear and subs...

they retail for $319, but hey if you live in the S.E. suburbs of melb and you want one, I might give you a discount :) (on any other stereo stuff aswell)

anyway read about it here: (click on sales notes on right hand side - 1992kb file)

LC6 INFO

btw, any more questions - feel free to ask me

my mates in JB's whitfords reckon these arent too bad but I'd wanna hear them first before I chose one over going a whole new system.. at least the LC6 couldnt make the 'premo' system sound any worse haha.. plus you could still use the wheel controls..

I wouldnt mind getting the output from ASL installed on my deck... trying to find a contact now.

Yeah couldnt agree more with the above Steve.......the signal my amp receives is definately not right....my soubs sound completely different to what they should

yeh your subs defo dont sound like they should, im sure the subsonic filter on the ICC is set to about 50hz or something stupid haha

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 8m

Dunno, I'll post the dimensions when it's finished if anyone wants to work it out... It does look small but it's quite wide so it might make up for it there. Be good if I had autocad or something then I could punch in the dimensions and it would calculate capacity for me.

I know, I'll fill it up with water and measure how much comes out :laughing:

JK :spoton: