Sign in to follow this  
Paradoxx

Custom Stereo Install

Hey all,

I'm working on a sub box to fit into the space under the back shelf to fit 2 12" subs... I have got all the mdf and cutting it up at the moment, but I just thought I would post some progress pics and dimensions to get everyone's thoughts.

Getting 2 12s in there is a bit difficult as the magnet cover is huge, so it can't tilt back too far. I have to make it a weird shape at the top to fit the bloody things in, but I'll let you know how I go with that. Here's what I have so far...

Attempting the speaker side now...

Edited by XXXR6T

What ya reckon? I had the top piece done but stuffed up the sides (cut the angles the wrong way) so I'll do that some time during the week. Not a bad weekends effort I think (spent about 6 hours on it total)

What ya reckon? I had the top piece done but stuffed up the sides (cut the angles the wrong way) so I'll do that some time during the week. Not a bad weekends effort I think (spent about 6 hours on it total)

I wonder why u cut it wrong???

QUOTE "It must be bourbon 'o clock "

QUOTE "IM off to the pub"

:spoton:

Dave

Well done mate it looks tops so far :crybaby:

nice Steve, but I wont be able to poke my surfboard through the seat!!!!!

does this also mean that the with it blocking the hole less noise will make its way through to the cabin?? I'm trying to upload some vids of youngys car onto putfile and its taken ages and havent even got to the second one yet?? damn it.

I wanted it to fit so that I didnt have to drop the seats to get it to sound good. I'm thinking of a way to use the gap in the parcel shelf to create a port where the factory sub usually goes. I think cutting it open and sealing the edges with a grille should do the trick (or get hold of a parcel shelf with the grille already in it)

I wonder why u cut it wrong???

QUOTE "It must be bourbon 'o clock "

QUOTE "IM off to the pub"

:wub:

Dave

Well done mate it looks tops so far :spoton:

Some of my best work was done with half a bottle of bourbon :spoton:

An Amplifier :laughing:

I havent actually shopped around yet, I am probably thinking of getting two new subs and and a dedicated amp... no idea what yet... or how much I wanna spend! In which case I will be selling the sub pictured above with it's box.

An Amplifier :siihp:

I havent actually shopped around yet, I am probably thinking of getting two new subs and and a dedicated amp... no idea what yet... or how much I wanna spend! In which case I will be selling the sub pictured above with it's box.

Have a look at the new Jaycar amps, you will not get better value. :laughing:

Hey Steve,

If the Airforce turns sour for you, carpentry it is then :siihp:

Looks like a decent project for you, good luck :laughing:

Ahhh nothing wrong with being multiskilled :nono:

It's not much different from fitting I did in basic technical training. Yeah I was working with metal, but this is just a softer version of the same task.

Be good if I had a band saw or a circular saw... the jigsaw makes it very difficult to cut angles. Matching up the top angles on the box is quite tricky. Once I get it complete I will measure it up properly and let everyone know the dimensions if there's a few keen people in here. I had to make the speaker side taller than the back (so the top actually slopes) to fit the 12s in, but it would be easier to make this type of box for 2 10s.

The Jaycar amps... they are good but how well do they last? I know they are basically the same components as most other amps, but its the quality of those components that u dont know. I'll definitely look into them though, thanks :pooh:

I have a decent amp and 2 12's and it sounds like crap.....nothing compared to when it ran off an alpine deck.

YOU NEED AN AFTERMARKET DECK TO MAKE ANY DECENT SOUND

haaa.... I know you agree Steve!!!!

I think it depends on placement also though, and a way to bypass the sound deadening that is in the car by utilising the factory sub location (needs some experimenting). I wouldnt mind getting the output from ASL installed on my deck... trying to find a contact now.

I wouldnt mind getting the output from ASL installed on my deck... trying to find a contact now.

Yeah couldnt agree more with the above Steve.......the signal my amp receives is definately not right....my soubs sound completely different to what they should

Yeah its not a clean signal at all. Instead of being a reduced version of the original signal it's more like a clipped version which means a lot of the clarity is simply thrown away.

I just heard back from ASL (excellent reply time) $200 including freight to get the outputs installed (you can have 2 or 4)

Might get that done :nono: