Upgrade 4 Sp Auto To A Zf In Baxr6t

2MUCHKW

• Member For: 20y 11m 2d
I am sure many people have thought about it, but it would be cheaper to buy a BF and trade in your BA.

The cost of the gearboxes is one thing, but the floorpan and computer is also not compatible.

Trading my BA in on a BF is far from cheap ... say goodbye to $20,000+ :crybaby:

that's probably not far from what fitting a ZF would cost. The trans is worth around 8k by itself.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 21y 5m 18d

also different mount points for the ZF, stiffened transmission brace and cross members,which although probably un-noticable, does improve chassis stiffness....

ALSO theres a stiffened brace/mount for the diff....

• Member For: 17y 11m 9d
I am sure many people have thought about it, but it would be cheaper to buy a BF and trade in your BA.

The cost of the gearboxes is one thing, but the floorpan and computer is also not compatible.

Trading my BA in on a BF is far from cheap ... say goodbye to $20,000+ :crybaby:

that's probably not far from what fitting a ZF would cost. The trans is worth around 8k by itself.

So getting a wrecked BF ZF would be the only cost effective way then?

How much more different are the floorpans?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 5d

Gee guys, some people only see LIMITATIONS :blink:

As far as fitting the box, I'm sure it could be done, and I doubt that the mounting points would be that much different, as the manual box would also have to be modified to fit then :blink:

I know the PCM is different, and as far as the engine is concerned, then most of the mods are superficial, so with an Edit it could probably be done.

I agree that the control philosophy is different for the BF, and making a BA a full blown BF is probably not feasible, but amazing things have been done in the past :crybaby:

I wounder how many great inventions would have got off the ground, if the inventor had listened to all the knockers :nono:

My 2c worth

• Big Gun
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d
Gee guys, some people only see LIMITATIONS :blink:

As far as fitting the box, I'm sure it could be done, and I doubt that the mounting points would be that much different, as the manual box would also have to be modified to fit then :blink:

I know the PCM is different, and as far as the engine is concerned, then most of the mods are superficial, so with an Edit it could probably be done.

I agree that the control philosophy is different for the BF, and making a BA a full blown BF is probably not feasible, but amazing things have been done in the past :crybaby:

I wounder how many great inventions would have got off the ground, if the inventor had listened to all the knockers :nono:

My 2c worth

I agree

• FG Falcon fan!
  • Member For: 20y 8m 22d

Who would wana buy a BA off a guy who put a ZF gearbox in it?! I would rather buy a BF with the ZF gearbox in it there in the first place.

Sorry, I think this is pie-in-the-sky stuff which wouldnt be worth the money thrown at it.

Buy a 2nd hand BF 6spd auto if youre trying to save money... :crybaby:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 2d
Who would wana buy a BA off a guy who put a ZF gearbox in it?!  I would rather buy a BF with the ZF gearbox in it there in the first place.

Sorry, I think this is pie-in-the-sky stuff which wouldnt be worth the money thrown at it.

Buy a 2nd hand BF 6spd auto if youre trying to save money...  :outahere:

I guess it really depends on how much you have spent on your existing car. Resale dollars are very low at the moment. A 2003 purchaser could look at loosing $20 easily to get into a new XR6T. That's life with cars though.

If you are really serious see if you can hire one to see if the difference between transmissions is worth the $.

• Member For: 18y 6m 12d
Who would wana buy a BA off a guy who put a ZF gearbox in it?!  I would rather buy a BF with the ZF gearbox in it there in the first place.

Buy a 2nd hand BF 6spd auto if youre trying to save money...  :pooh:

I guess it really depends on how much you have spent on your existing car. Resale dollars are very low at the moment. A 2003 purchaser could look at loosing $20 easily to get into a new XR6T. That's life with cars though.

If you are really serious see if you can hire one to see if the difference between transmissions is worth the $.

...or just hire a BF that's the same colour as yours, swap the plates and send yours back! :fool:

Well it's worth a try... :spit:

• Member For: 20y 11m 2d
Gee guys, some people only see LIMITATIONS :spoton:

As far as fitting the box, I'm sure it could be done, and I doubt that the mounting points would be that much different, as the manual box would also have to be modified to fit then :tease:

I agree that the control philosophy is different for the BF, and making a BA a full blown BF is probably not feasible, but amazing things have been done in the past :spoton:

My 2c worth

Not knocking, just being realistic. Why bother spending more than half of what the cars worth on a ZF. Especially when it will probably be more trouble than its worth due to the complexity of the wiring. You have to see the size of the wiring looms to understand the complexity involved, and theres no gaurantee it will work.