Installing Fpv Gauges - Diy

Robit28

• Member For: 18y 4m 27d

Hi all, I don't know if this has been covered before but I will do a quick DIY of how I installed the FPV gauges as I have been asked by a couple of people now.

Please excuse the photo quality as these were taken with a 'point and shoot' camera in poor conditions.

I used two Autometer gauges for my install.

Tools I used were:

Flathead Screwdriver

Dremil (Small Drill) with cutting attachment

Clear Silicone

Soldering Iron

WARNING: This will void all warrenty on the gauges so be carefull and be warned!

1. Remove front bevel on the Autometer gauges using the Dremil cutting disc to cut a straight line through the back of the bevel facia to around 4mm from the front.

2. Use the flathead screwdriver (placed in the gap you just cut with the Dremil)to 'snap' the bevel ring off the gauge housing to prevent the Dremil going through the housing or glass.

3. Once the glass is out, be carefull not to touch the needle as they will bend easily. Then, silicone the glass into the new FPV bevel facia and apply pressure by sitting something heavy on the glass and leave overnight to cure as shown:

Gauges_Faciaback.jpg

5. Once the silicon has cured, take the weight off and clean up any areas that have excess silicon, the front of the bevel facia should now look like this:

Gauges_Faciafront.jpg

4. Cut the two screw threads on the back of the gauges until they are around 4mm long, then using a small hammer, gently punch them through the housing so they fall into the inside of the gauge. They can then be shaken out through the hole where the light bulb screws in. This will ensure we have sufficient room for the gauge to push back into the cup.

5. Install the two black rubber bands over the gauge at the front and the back and push into the gauge cup. The bands will ensure a snug fit. As shown:

Gauges_Nofacia.jpg

6. The plugs on the back of the gauges will have to be cut down by around 5mm to get the gauges to fit properly in the gauge cup. This may not be a problem with cobalt gauges as they use LED's for there lighting.

7. I used a plug and socket bought from Jaycar or Disck Smith's so that the gauge pod can be disconnected at any time if need be. You could hard wire the gauges in if you like.

8. I found a good spot for power and illumination is behind the ashtray in the centre console. There is ACC power there and also a spare illumination power source. Some people use the TC switch but this can be fiddly and hard to find the correct wire, so I suggest just using the power behind the ashtray.

9. After all the wiring has been completed, test all conections and ensure illumination and gauges are working as specified. As shown:

Gauges_Wiring.jpg

10. Push the front glass and bevel facia's on the gauges to finish off. Mine are a tight fit without any adhesive but you may want to put a touch of silicone on the facia to ensure the bevels don't come loose.

11. That's it. I think it's a lot of effort but well worth it in the end. This is what the finished product looks like:

Gauges_Completed.jpg

Have Fun!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Rob.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 15y 7m 23d

Just wondering if these things ae hard to hook up? I have a 2003 XR6T and im thinking about buying this gauge setup of ebay. Sounds good to me just wondering whats involved? are there pre existing plugs in the BA or am I going to require an auto electrician.

Thanks alot

• 8 months later...