Engine Rebuild

Romulus

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 21d

What would be the best cost option to handle power up to 450rwkw?

I'm thinking of doing mine soon, and rather than handing over $8k - $10k for a name brand engine swap, what would it take to build and engine , knowing the power output I'm after. I'm upgrading the intercooler and plumbing, which will build more power. To cope with the extra power I'll need the strenght in the bottom end to be up to the task.

Currently the engine is making anywhere from 317rwkw to 350rwkw (depending on which dyno it's on) in stock trim. I read a lot about the stock rods being a weak link in the engine, but mine have done pretty good so far. Mind you, I won't let anyone else tune the car and will not let the car ping.

I was thinking of replacing the rods with the BA/BF LPG rods (which are supposed to be the same as the F6 rods), factory oversize pistons, new chains and tensioners/guides, bearings, balancing and machining. I'd imagine costs wouldn't exceed $2k - $2.5k plus labour.

Who's done this to their engine?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 30d

Going by the part number and the price I would suggest that the LPG rod is not the same as the F6. I think the Atomic rebuild kit would be a good option for an engine that is still in good working order.

• Donating Members
Going for a 9 second pass?

It's a manual maybe a 12.6 :spoton::gooff:

Hehehe, too true :gooff:

Doubt I'll run the car at the drags again, I won't set the car up for it. Having installed Harrop springs, adjustable sway bars, Bilstein shocks and bigger rear brakes, sprint days at Barbagello and AHG's driver training centre are more appealing. Can't ever have too much power for the back straight at Barbagello Raceway. Neither can you ever have enough brakes :gooff:

• Donating Members
Going by the part number and the price I would suggest that the LPG rod is not the same as the F6. I think the Atomic rebuild kit would be a good option for an engine that is still in good working order.

Have you seen the two rods side by side? Sure, the part numbers might be different, but the rod may still be the same.

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 30d

A F6 rod is about 10 times the price of a LPG rod.

Anyway... I think you'll need more than F6 rods to handle 450rwkw's.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 23d

Hi M6 XR6T,

What would be the best cost option to handle power up to 450rwkw?

I'm thinking of doing mine soon, and rather than handing over $8k - $10k for a name brand engine swap, what would it take to build and engine , knowing the power output I'm after.

I have a Nizpro Stage III engine, which is good for about 500 rwkW. I have done nearly 20000km on it and have had no problems with it.

Are you building the engine yourself, cause there is a lot of machining/labour cost involved in putting together a bullet-proof engine. If you have the capability / access to machine shops, you could feasibly save yourself a few $$. The only problem is knowing exactly what to alter, and I'm guessing most shops won't tell you what tolerances, clearances, etc are necessary to achieve a reliable bottom end. Maybe the Nizpro / Atomic / other good quality shop bottom end is a good option, if you get a short motor, and then build on top of that.

For example in my engine bottom end here's a brief on build:

1. Forged pistons and H-beam rods. Allow about $3k.

2. Complete engine balance (rods, pistons, crank, etc). Allow $500.

3. Full circle Bearing set. Allow $250.

4. Bore No 1 cylinder (step sleeve) and CRMO sleeve (required on earlier engines, Ford seemed to have addressed the thin wall problems in later engines).

5. Sonic tested block, hot dipped, surfaced, honed bores, line hone of mains tunnels. Modified main tunnel for oil system. $$ dependant on what's done.

6. New crank linished and mic. Allow $100.

7. New gasket set, welsh plugs, etc. Allow approx. $500.

8. Labour for assembly, checking clearances, etc.

In my case, it was easier to leave it to the experts.

Cheers

Robin.

• Donating Members

Thanks for the feedback Robin.

Nope, I won't be building it myself. I have a few people in mind. I'm not interested in dealing with eastern states companies, so might do some more research.

I could always leave the engine as it is as it's been good so far.