Coolant Change

xrdreaming

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 26d

Hi Guys,

The coolant in the beast is getting on a bit and it's time for a flush and change.

Has anyone done it and what is the easiest way?

Is there a radiator drain plug or do I have to remove the bottom hose? (A b**ch with big intercooler piping and trans cooler hoses.)

Thanks for any advise

Cheers,

Dean

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 20y 4m

Remove your electric fans, by undoing 2 bolts 1 either side at the top, as well as your air duct to the air box, then lift up fan shroud.

You will see a white butterfly plastic type drain plug on the passenger side at the bottom of the radiator, undo, coolant will be released, to flush turn on your heater control on the dash, then flush with tap water thru the water reservour.

Then place coolant, then water top up. Dont foget there will be water left in the system so add have of the total volume in coolant only, then top up with water.

• Member For: 20y 5m 19d

when I flush them I drain the radiator as suggested, the pull off a heater hose or just a hose that is easy to remove. The I start the car & run it with the hose off & a garden hose either into the heater hose I tookj of or in the header tank. The idea is the water pump will pump out any coolant left in the block. Only runj it for about 30-40 seconds, dont want to do any damage. when the water runs clear I stick the hose in the other way & back flush, both with engine off & with it running. It is extremely important not to mix coolants as some mixtures will have adverse affects. When it is all clear, drain radiator with either drain plug or bottom radiator hose. Then you top up coolant-most tune up/service books will give you total refill figures of cooling system. a falcon is usually around 15 litres, but I think the exact amount will be in the owners manual. Then you need to know concentration-usuallly 30-33% although 50% is prety common so just look in your manual. With a drained radiator, pour in the coolant. pour in the full amount of coolant so for example a 15litre system at 30%, pour in 4.5 litres(use a good brand, and long life coolant is a good idea) top up with water. dont forget to bleed air out of engine from highest point

• TerriGhia
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 2d

yes ther is a drain plug.no you dont have to take the fans off(on a standard car,dont know if you can reach it with all that top gear on your ute).

I recomend you flush with clean water 3-4 times as there is always water trapped in the system(heater,in the block ect).

in between flushes I run the car up to operating temp, to ensure the thermostat is open,

to get water flow though the system.then drain.Repeat.

I think the Ba takes closer to 10 litres of coolant.

I can casrol concentate at 50%

ok so far.

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 8m

THanks for the information guys, I have been procrastinating about this for a while now (my coolant doesnt look green any more) so I might have to give it a go in a bit.

As far as coolant recommendations, if I got some tectalloy what number do I get? 90+? Also, I thought they were complete fill mixes, and didnt need diluting?? :blink:

• Member For: 20y 9m 13d
Remove your electric fans, by undoing 2 bolts 1 either side at the top, as well as your air duct to the air box, then lift up fan shroud.

You will see a white butterfly plastic type drain plug on the passenger side at the bottom of the radiator, undo, coolant will be released, to flush turn on your heater control on the dash, then flush with tap water thru the water reservour.

Then place coolant, then water top up. Dont foget there will be water left in the system so add have of the total volume in coolant only, then top up with water.

approximately how much water would be left in the system?

• Member For: 21y 24d
THanks for the information guys, I have been procrastinating about this for a while now (my coolant doesnt look green any more) so I might have to give it a go in a bit.

As far as coolant recommendations, if I got some tectalloy what number do I get? 90+? Also, I thought they were complete fill mixes, and didnt need diluting?? :blink:

Dont bother with Tectaloy Steve - walk into Coventrys and ask for the Ford coolant for a BA XR6T. You will get a 500mL (I think its 500mL..) bottle of genuine Ford coolant concentrate. You simply add the concentrate, and then add distillled water.

Ross

Edited by Ford_Power