Turbo Flutter and Blow Off Valves

DaRKy

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 9d

lol at the flutter.

You can try this yourself and see what sounds better to you.

First you have to remove the BOV and plug the two hoses and the signal line.

Then you get in your car and go for a drive building up boost and stepping off the throttle pedal.

You will hear gobble gobble noises commonly referred to as flutter. Won't be much as stock boost isn't very high.

If you want the silly pssst sound of a vented BOV then you'll need something like a Turbosmart Kompact series dual port BOV. It will fit into the factory BOV position no problems.

Then you go for another drive and repeat the process. Build up boost and step off the throttle pedal.

Now you will here the annoying pssst everytime you are on boost and step of the throttle.

The bonus with the Kompact series dual port is if you get sick of the annoying pssst you can cap the trumpet port with the plug that came with it.

But to answer your question, a BOV is better to have installed. :crybaby:

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 2m 11d

Simon at Nizpro stated somewhere on his own forum's that a BOV on the barra 6t's that a BOV is as restrictive as a centre muffler,you dont need it.that was his words but I have the same BOV as you PHANTM and yes it is vented running a twin air 6 inch pod and 4 inch piping so she sneezes fairly loud for standard boost.Hows your car going?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RUS531
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 8d

Ok I've been reading and am confused about a few things.

Firstly, it was said that at cruise the BOV is held open therefore bypassing the turbo, if you had a BOV like the TS dual port, would it suck in unfiltered air? Or is the TS BOV designed in such a way that it does perform the same way as the stock setup.

Secondly, correct me if I'm wrong, but going on what Simon said, if we have vented BOVs it does not affect emissions due to the MAP sensor being after the TB, therefore the car doesn't go rich for that moment. Could someone explain if this is correct or not. If it is not an emissions issue on these cars why do people get booked for venting the BOV to the atmosphere? The only reason I could think of is making excessive noise?

Cheers

Cameron

• Member For: 15y 2m 11d
26000+ and all good mate. Doesn't get driven much nowadays.

I tonk around in the missus Territory.

Boat gets more use than the car. lol

Dont blame you there mate,ya cant beat NorthWest fishing :thumbsup:

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 2d
Ok I've been reading and am confused about a few things.

Firstly, it was said that at cruise the BOV is held open therefore bypassing the turbo

Cheers

Cameron

WTF?? How would that happen??

And bovs don't suck in air, that's what turbos are for. Only negative of a bov is the noise.