Turbo Flutter and Blow Off Valves

DaRKy

• role model
  • Member For: 18y 1m 9d

Yeah thanks mate ill probly go out and get my self a k&N pod filter soon and attach it to the 4" ribbed hose.

and with the pod how do u put them on just buy a bracket that all???

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 12d
Yeah thanks mate ill probly go out and get my self a k&N pod filter soon and attach it to the 4" ribbed hose.

and with the pod how do u put them on just buy a bracket that all???

I used a pos that I previously had on my 4WD....the 4inch ribbed ford tube actually fitted over the pod rubber!!! (should be the other way around!). Since it was just a test it didnt matter!.

You really need a bit of extension so you can (take air box out) have the pod right near the headlight for colder air.

• role model
  • Member For: 18y 1m 9d

ahahah yer I was thinkin of changing the pod filter of the turbo and move the battery and jsut block up the manfiold should that work ok or not?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 12d

That would work but I dont think it would look too good and is a big hassle. I would go buy some aluminium tubing extension (or stainless?) and a pod filter. If your not happy then move the battery. With std boost you wont need to have the pod straight off the tubo for the rattle snake noise. A mate who runs 18psi and 400+ rwkws makes more rattle snake noise with a pod off the turbo, however its not heaps louder. His awesome cams are music to your ears though.

• 6 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 5m 8d

This backs up the arguement that the BOV isn't designed for longevity of the turbo.Please correct me If im wrong. From memory, the BOV on the xr6T is indeed plumbed back into the intake stream before the throttle butterfly, so when the pressure rises in the intake stream after the butterfly closes the pressure in vented through the BOV and back into the intake pipe. There are two lines off the BOV on the xr6t, I imagine the smaller one that goes to the manifold serves a similar function to the vac line on the fuel pressure reg, in that under wot when the pressure in the manifold is positive, and hence requires greater pressure on the opposing side of the diaphragm ( the intake pipe before the butterfly) and the larger line of the two is the passage the air takes back to the intake pipe. And if the BOV is for emission purposes, can you please explain this to me: On closed throttle, the excess boost is vented, in the case of the falcon which has a T-MAP sensor, Temperature and manifold absolute pressure sensor is on the opposite side of the butterfly in the intake manifold, and hence wont measure the exra air from the turbo due to the throttle butterfly being closed. So I supose what I'm trying to say is in terms of a falcon with the T-MAP sensor what is the purpose of the BOV?, if it isn't for the turbo longevity as staged or for the Emission reason theory of mine then why is it there

Like is said please correct me if im wrong, and please pm your answers to me, Its got me thinking now and I won't be able to sleep. haha

cheers

Mic

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d
This backs up the arguement that the BOV isn't designed for longevity of the turbo.Please correct me If im wrong. From memory, the BOV on the xr6T is indeed plumbed back into the intake stream before the throttle butterfly, so when the pressure rises in the intake stream after the butterfly closes the pressure in vented through the BOV and back into the intake pipe. There are two lines off the BOV on the xr6t, I imagine the smaller one that goes to the manifold serves a similar function to the vac line on the fuel pressure reg, in that under wot when the pressure in the manifold is positive, and hence requires greater pressure on the opposing side of the diaphragm ( the intake pipe before the butterfly) and the larger line of the two is the passage the air takes back to the intake pipe. And if the BOV is for emission purposes, can you please explain this to me: On closed throttle, the excess boost is vented, in the case of the falcon which has a T-MAP sensor, Temperature and manifold absolute pressure sensor is on the opposite side of the butterfly in the intake manifold, and hence wont measure the exra air from the turbo due to the throttle butterfly being closed. So i supose what I'm trying to say is in terms of a falcon with the T-MAP sensor what is the purpose of the BOV?, if it isn't for the turbo longevity as staged or for the Emission reason theory of mine then why is it there

Like is said please correct me if im wrong, and please pm your answers to me, Its got me thinking now and I won't be able to sleep. haha

cheers

Mic

There are three lines on the factory BOV as there would be on any plumb back bov. The line from the manifold to the BOV (pressure) , the vac/boost signal (the small line) and the vent line (the line that runs from the bov back into the intake duct.) The BOV keeps keep the car quiet on gear change(manual car) and when the throttle is released( manual and auto car) and also helps improve fuel consumption. The factory BOV allows air to pass through it when the car is at cruise and there is vacum applied to the BOV piston. The allows the engine to draw air in through the bov rather than through the turbo.This also allows for a slightly quicker spool up of the turbo once the throttle is open because the engine already has a small supply of air entering through the BOV that helps provide extra exhaust gas to get the turbo spinning. Im not sure with the design of the turbo on these cars and the super low boost they run from the factory that the BOV is meant to provide protection for turbo longevity.

About your question about the emission side of things. dont forget there is a t-map sensor as well as boost sensor located under the rh head light in the intake ducting. I would assume the car knows what pressure it has before and after the throttle butterfly and is able to control emssions because of that. Im not 100% sure tho