Turbo Flutter and Blow Off Valves

DaRKy

• Member For: 12y 9m 20d

This thread was the most informative yet useless thread I have ever read coming from someone new to the XR6T scene.

I'm chasing the Flutter sound but after 8 pages of reading I'm still left confused as to

A) Whether it will damage the turbo

B) Whether an aftermarket BOV will make the flutter or quiten it

C) Whether an unenclosed pod will create the flutter or not

D) Still unsure on how to obtain this flutter.

so much contradiction haha

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 3d

Ok mate I'll clear that up for you right now..

A) In theory but after 9 years yet to be proven.

B) Quieten it

C) No it won't "Create" the flutter

D) Short length of pipe into your turbo with a pod on the end (blocked or no bov), the shorter the better.

Also more boost will make it louder. But if your want that fully sick look at me flutter buy one of these..

Done.

• Member For: 13y 2m 10d

I get a load of flutter with the setup in my sig. I have a short intake to the turbo from a pod where the battery was and my 50m/m BOV is vented to atmo (although it shouldn't matter if it was plumb-back) but it has a strong spring that only opens under heavy boost with quick pedal drop off, so similar to having a blocked BOV but with a pressure relief built in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 13y 2m 10d

I have updated my BOV set-up to get rid of the flutter. It was driving me crazy.

What I ended up doing was putting the original back on but vented to atmo through a filter.

Now that I have the new exhaust system there were just too many noises and I would only have to decelerate slightly to get a massive flutter and it was just too much.

I will be leaving the 50m/m BOV on but I will remove the banjo and make an adjuster screw to set it up as an over-boost valve which I will set at 15 to 16psi (I think that would limit me to about 350rwkw).

I don't know if it's due to the new exhaust or not but the boost still comes on just as hard.

One difference I noticed was the heavy 50m/m BOV seemed to stall the turbo if I buttoned off a little while giving it some and caused a delay in spooling back up and coming on. With the standard Bosch BOV the turbo seems to stay spooled up as the pressure escapes on deceleration and the turbo remains spooled when you power back on.

Really enjoying the sound of the exhaust now :-)

IMG_0990.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 10y 5m 14d

Hey Guys, Im not to sure if this is already been asked or not. And if so than sorry

But I just Bought a G6E Turbo Yesterday. I still haven't even driven it yet,( Still On my green P`s For a month) And im just wondering if there are different types of Blow Off valves available, If so whats the Best one to get ?

I personally want it to flutter and be as loud and mean as possible.

Also do I get any benefits or cons from having a Blow off ?

Sorry For the Noob Questions

Any help would be appreciated thanks heaps guys :)

• Member For: 12y 16d

Welcome to the forums mate. To answer your question, yes this has been covered a million times. Try using the search function. It's a new comers best friend. There's a substantial amount of information in the blow of valve workshop part of the forum too. I'd start there.

• Member For: 11y 4m 3d

want loud flutter?

growler airbox, blocked bov, more boost. sounds deep, and menacing.

want 'dardy' VL flutter?

turbo side intake, preferably with the pod as close to, or on the turbo.

done.

seriously though, how hard is it to do a little light reading before asking questions...

Damn gen Y'ers.

• 1 month later...