So What Voids The Warranty?

twr7cx

• Member For: 17y 11m 27d

I just joined this site on behalf of my brother (personally I'm doing up an EF wagon currently EL XR replica and a 265 Hemi powered VJ Valiant - sorry but she still keeps up with a stocko XR6T and it's 30 years older - sorry can't resist having a dig, now back to topic...), anyways he sold me the Valiant and has now purchased an XR6T - it's a 2004 BA Mark 1 with 5 speed manual, and lots of option boxs ticked (leather, wheels, sunroof, premium sound, brake upgrade, alarm, etc.).

Now he's been ringing me (as he's in the Air Force in Queensland and doesn't have full time net access) asking me about mods and to find out. He actually bought the car from a dealer (previous owner traded it in for an FPV - lucky *beep*). And it already has a turbo timer, SS induction and we think, he's yet to be bothered checking, a high flow filter (K&N or what ever brand).

Now he's looking at what mods he can do such as those already done, without effecting his warrenty, currently were thinking fiberglass XR8/GT bonnet, Cappa Flash Tune, upgraded valve springs (as we hear these are often the weakest part of the donk).

Now just wondering what else can be done without loosing the warrenty, obviously the valve springs there unlikely to notice so might be alright, the bonnet shouldn't be an issue either, and we figer the exhaust is a definate no no so that will have to wait, but what about the flash tunes? Surely Ford wouldn't notice this had been done unless the ECU was plugged into there computer and read or something? Is that likely to happen?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7d

It seems sneezing will void warranty :spoton:

Capa flash will void warranty on driveline. Changing valves springs would surely void engine warranty.

Any modifications from std you risk having warranty claims denied.

It seems sneezing will void warranty :spoton:

Capa flash will void warranty on driveline. Changing valves springs would surely void engine warranty.

Any modifications from std you risk having warranty claims denied.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but only if they know. I mean if you upgrade the valve springs unless the engine or head goes they're not going to find out.

I'm wondering would they find out about the flash tuner, I.e. when the car goes in to them to be serviced or what ever, do they plug there computer in and check the ECU or anything?

As I said he got this one from a dealer and it already has turbo timer, SS Induction and high flow filter fitted and there happy with that. he said he'll go back there monday and have a chat to the bloke and see what he says too...

• TEAM BA
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 21d

I dont think there has been a case of waranty being voided because of a K&N filter/CAI yet (and there are how many T's with these mods?), it is posible that it could void your waranty but highly unlikely.

Valve springs, zaughst and edit are definate no-no's if you want to keep your waranty, some dealers will let them slide if your upfront and some will not but if you blow something that shouldnt break the first thing they will do is check things like valve springs and injectors to see if they are stock.

two options really, mod and hope nothing breaks (most likely something will go pop) and enjoy a truely special car to its most (you play you pay). Option 2 is to leave it stock untill warranty ends and then mod to your hearts content.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 27d

I had nothing but problems with my orignal xr and it was not modded at the time of warranty claims..... either way they will try and screw you.... mods just make it easier for them :stirthepot:

Fair enough cheers for the replies guys. I'll let you know what the dealer says when he goes and chats to them - as I said earlier though he bought the car from the dealer with the CAI and filter already fitted and the guy said it still had warrenty!

• Member For: 18y

Ive got a similar question, except I bought the used car with an APS phase II kit already installed. I asked the dealer on several times if everything is still covered by warranty, and he said yes. Was he just telling me lies so I would buy the car? Are they going to void warranty if I make a claim?