Xr6t Mods

jonom

• Member For: 18y 6m 7d

Guys,

just a quick question, if you had an xr6t auto and all you did was CAI and edit, would you need

1. extra or larger oil cooler?

2. extra or larger trans cooler?

3. valve springs?

If you were to add the above mods would it be alot more reliable or just a waste of money?

Thanks in advance :spoton:

One more quick question I've heard that if you remove one of the mufflers from the exhaust you can pick up a few extra KW's but is there a downside to doing this? does the exhaust become alot louder and does it drone?

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 30d

Trans cooler is a good idea and if you like the track work then the oil cooler wouldn't hurt either.

Valve springs are not required at that level.

I've heard mixed reports about the centre muffler, some say it works and others don't.

• Gold Platinum Member
  • Member For: 19y 9m 30d

Correct, no valve spring are needed at that level. I have JB's center muffler (or lack of) and it does give a bit more flow to the edit/chiped T, however the primary reason most do this mod is for the audio enhancment.

Personally I have done it to give the exhaust system a bit more flow and a 'tougher' sound as a interem mod until I get a full on performance enhancing exhaust.

I don't know the exact numbers but ive seen from 5 to 10 rwkw's (with ecu mods) being thrown around the forums. Someone whos done dyno tests please clarify...

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 8m 1d

Valve springs seems to be a bit of an iffy subject I think. I know that with the generic capa 10psi tune I am having valve spring issues but it seems to be only in certain instances (when the engine is a bit cold and high revs). I have been told a Cat replacement will help this situation if not fix it completely. I am considering this as well as a centre muffler removal (2 hotdogs) for the sound... and some twin pipes for looks.

• Member For: 18y 6m 7d

Thanks guys much appreciated.

By about mid year or abit after I will be looking at buying a car. The options are VY SS or an XR6t. I have been reading these forums for a long time and seems value for money / bang for your buck the xr6t and SS are very similar still not sure which path to take though.

Thanks again.

Cheers :crybaby:

• Member For: 19y 10m 16d
Valve springs seems to be a bit of an iffy subject I think. I know that with the generic capa 10psi tune I am having valve spring issues but it seems to be only in certain instances (when the engine is a bit cold and high revs). I have been told a Cat replacement will help this situation if not fix it completely. I am considering this as well as a centre muffler removal (2 hotdogs) for the sound... and some twin pipes for looks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing to consider Steve, if you do something about the cat then you will need a custom tune. And that's where the mod snowball will start gaining momentum :crybaby:

Better flowing exhaust =more boost=more fuel (injectors) = trans / clutch mods = $$$$$$

• Member For: 20y 4m 30d

Why not try driving both, firstly try the SS then immediately after, try the XR6T. I then bet you go for the XR6T. ( wager anyone ? )

Which ever one you choose, just make sure its the right one for you otherwise it will cost you to change.

I can hear it now.... What was that ? ( as the XR6T passes )....wish I bought the turbo :crybaby: