F6_Tornado

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 4y 9m 26d
On 01/03/2006 at 8:53 PM, GOLDIE said:

Having worked on motors up here in qld that are run hot all the time au's mainly but I can see going to be the same in ba's and bf's 0w40 will cause problems in the long term for engine bearings with all the heat that is in the turbo motors espeacilly if they are worked over.

Ian

Mate 0W 5W10W 20W gives less cold start up friction. W stands for winter so if in Victoria during winter it would work out okay the -40 would be fine as it reduce friction during hot condition or when engine produce heat since it is a turbo and I'd suppose would get hot so having 0w-40 would be okay but might not work that good during summer as I think 10w-40 or 15w-40 would be better during that period depending on what state you lived in.

5W-30 is good for winter as the temperature is roughly between 12c to 20c during the day and anywhere from -1 to 8c during the night in stand none turbocharged cars as the engine don't run as hot

10w-40 or 15w-40 is good for summer driving and if you live far up north in a place like Cans Qld where it is extremely hot and humid weather Probably better off having 20w-50..

Recommendation on oil velosty is only recommended as standard basis but depending what part of the country you live how cold it gets during winter and how hot it gets in summer. I've experienced in cars that starts perfict during the summer but was hard starting during the winter. Soon as I change the oil to a lower velosty my start up problem went away.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

Well that's something I learnt today: oil is categorised by "velosty"

Must be what speed the oil does around the block, yeh? So higher has to be better then.

Wonder what Hyundai recommends for a Veloster, turbo model would need different oil since apparently it won't run as hot as an N/A

This forum is just a freaking gold mine of info