Rev Limiter Hit In 1st Gear Above 5500rpm

GEoMaNTiK

• Member For: 18y 5m 4d

I've noticed this before but wanted to play a bit with the sequential gear changes before asking advice.

It seems I just can't pull anymore than 5500revs in 1st gear without hitting the rev limiter, if I hit the change right on it bangs into 2nd without an issue but if I'm just a little bit too slow and it goes past, the limiter kicks in.

In all other gears, I can hit 6000 no dramas but 1st just won't do it.

Is this normal for you guys?

btw it's a BF Auto 6speed

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

Can't help you with that one.

But I wouldn't be making bouncing off the limiter common practice.

Can't help you with that one.

But I wouldn't be making bouncing off the limiter common practice.

It's not a daily routine or anything, I'd just prefer it didn't happen when I do opt for a punchy take off.

So does hitting the rev limiter cause any damage to the engine or gear box, I figure by hitting it, it's job is to protect these very things from damage, right?

• Lifetime Members

Yes. But consider how violent it feels. Long term it can't be good.

The BF has the ability to go past the rev limiter in some circumstances.

Yes. But consider how violent it feels. Long term it can't be good.

The BF has the ability to go past the rev limiter in some circumstances.

It's only 6k of these things, just imagine the punishment on a RX8 (9k) or S2000 (8k) with their high rev red lines. I treat my car pretty nicely most of the time and it's still stock, no edit, so a bit of rev action shouldn't kill my machine (I hope).

I'd say the standard tacho can't keep up in first gear. It may say 5500 rpm but its probably at 6000. The revs come on slower in the other gears so the tacho is more accurate, but the BF 6 speed autos also have a transient rev limiter that allows up to 6250rpm in some circumstances.

• Member For: 21y 3m 4d
...but the BF 6 speed autos also have a transient rev limiter that allows up to 6250rpm in some circumstances.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The BF 6 speed has exactly the same rev limiter as the BA 4 speed auto, just the injector hard cut is 100rpm higher at 6350rpm. Throttle based engine speed limit is still 6000rpm :ermm:

The last thing we need is myths and legends about transient rev limiters in BF Falcons.... :spoton:

Edited by Street Tuner

• Lifetime Members
The last thing we need is myths and legends about transient rev limiters in BF Falcons.... :spoton:

The BF dealer info packs sent out by Ford Motor Company must be wrong then... :ermm:

• Member For: 20y 9m 27d

I tend to agree with most guys that the tacho simply doesnt respond quick enough in 1st gear to give you a true reading.(4.17:1 is pretty low ratio compared to 2.34:1 in 2nd gear).

As for the Rev limiter,the 6speed auto has the same limit as the other models when it is in normal mode.However when you use it in Sequential Sports Shift(Manual) Mode it has what is called Transient Engine Overspeed Limiter.This allows the engine to rev up to 6200rpm for 1 second before slowly lowering the engine speed back to the 6000rpm continuous limit.Of course the harder you hit the limiter the harsher it is going to feel.