"rumble" Is Back

geea

• Member For: 20y 8m 20d
When racing I launch @ 3200rpm and achieve this by stalling up in 2nd then banging it into 1st at launch which can't be good for the box.

craig how do you achieve this, as when I select 2 gear it automaticlly goes back to 1st .Is this done with the edit ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When autos are modded the pressures in the valve body are increased. When they are increased too much the auto no longer uses 1st and this must be selected manually. My box still uses first as my pressures aren't enough to lock it out. I also have a shift kit fitted, that when activated increases the line pressures enough so that if left in auto the car is in 2nd.

What I do is turn on the shift kit and after having done all my preparation I put the car in "D" then into performance mode, still in auto. The car is now in 2nd, I then load the car to 3200rpm and when the lightbgoes green I tap the car manually into 1st and off she goes. I have tried twice to launch @ 3400rpm. The car held on the line beautifully, the first time I snapped the inside right cv and the second I snapped the inside left cv.

If you'd like to know more Steve give me a ring.

Geea. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the info craig.

even though my auto has been modded it still runs factory line pressure this must be why mine isnt able to select 2nd gear from take off.I am now running a 3000 stall conv and are keen to try it out but will have to get some m/ts to take full advanatage of it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 3m 13d

After taking note of HYPA and what the rotors do in Puerto Rico, it appears to me that yes the engine can make more power in colder weather. But it is the Humidity which is the killer, not the ambiant temp. Higher Hum, less oxygen less power.

But on the other hand, you need the track hot to get traction.

Ambient at low 20's, ie: night time in Summer and the track should be around 30, so it will be sticky, just have to get the low humidity and she's apples.

• Forum Superhero
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 29d

Good on you Craig, glad to hear it's back and badder than ever!

Great to see the customer support that dave from Kewish seems to give. Makes you happy to know that you are getting bang for your buck, not only from a product perspective but also customer service.

Look forward to having a drive!

Cheers

JB :laughing:

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 10d
When racing I launch @ 3200rpm and achieve this by stalling up in 2nd then banging it into 1st at launch which can't be good for the box.

craig how do you achieve this, as when I select 2 gear it automaticlly goes back to 1st .Is this done with the edit ?

When autos are modded the pressures in the valve body are increased. When they are increased too much the auto no longer uses 1st and this must be selected manually. My box still uses first as my pressures aren't enough to lock it out. I also have a shift kit fitted, that when activated increases the line pressures enough so that if left in auto the car is in 2nd.

What I do is turn on the shift kit and after having done all my preparation I put the car in "D" then into performance mode, still in auto. The car is now in 2nd, I then load the car to 3200rpm and when the lightbgoes green I tap the car manually into 1st and off she goes. I have tried twice to launch @ 3400rpm. The car held on the line beautifully, the first time I snapped the inside right cv and the second I snapped the inside left cv.

Geea. :laughing:

This makes interesting reading..... I've heard of few guys using this technique and thought it was odd.

..... but maybe that's why my ute has felt sluggish taking off in performance auto mode :laughing:

But it still takes off in 1st as far as I know. Gear changes occur at about the right speeds , and I'm grabbing 4th at end of quarter mile.....

What I have noticed though, is the car accellerates much better off idle if manually selecting 1st, rather than leaving it in auto (performance mode) I assumed this is a function of the torque control tables modified with edit.

curious ...

tom

• Member For: 19y 10m 29d

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geea. :bump:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This makes interesting reading..... I've heard of few guys using this technique and thought it was odd.

..... but maybe that's why my ute has felt sluggish taking off in performance auto mode :bump:

But it still takes off in 1st as far as I know. Gear changes occur at about the right speeds , and I'm grabbing 4th at end of quarter mile.....

What I have noticed though, is the car accellerates much better off idle if manually selecting 1st, rather than leaving it in auto (performance mode) I assumed this is a function of the torque control tables modified with edit.

curious ...

tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tom it seems like it is in 1st, but as you take off and get to about 5mph, push your lever foward, and it most likly will change back to 1st, what your saying sounds like it is taking off in 2nd to me.

running with this much line presure all the time will chew out the bush on the oil pump that suports the convertor, that is why the shift kit is so good, you only have to load this bush while you are up the car, then switch it off.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 13d

After being away for a week I have picked up my car from HPF, its bloody awesome. Rob sorted a few little problems and the cars running like a dream.

Whilst in the area I dropped in to see Dave @ Kewish and asked him all the questions that people have asked in this thread.

Good news Craig.

Do you know what power level (or torque) that Dave would estimate that it could handle?

Brian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With good tyres the gear set seems to be limited at around 370-400rwkw's. If the tyres aren't great this will be higher as wheel spin will save the auto.

I asked about the new gearsets and once these are available the shafts will probably be the next weak link. These are pretty easy to fix and Dave's not sure what would fail after this.

Yeh top news Craig. Mite leap frog you more infront for a better time I hope. Good to hear.

Nesh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave's waiting for your call Nesh and he's happy to help you leap frog me.

Interested to hear how the near Planetarys go, having already broken 1 set I would definitely be interested in what the upgrades are out.

Regards

M G

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure on how long the planetarys will be. I'm interested aswell and will post up if I hear anything.

For those that aren't into drag racing, how would the trans fair around a circuit, maybe one such as Phillip Island? What warranty is offered on the trans?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I asked Dave about the trans and circuit racing. He told me the main problem would be heat. This is mainly generated by the torque convertor and the constant on off throttle would generate alot of heat. He suggested a cooler which is twice the size of the one I currently have. This is a big cooler and placement could be an issue.

Regarding the warrenty Dave has always backed up the work he has preformed on my car and I believe other members would have similar experiences.

Who did your converter, do you still have lockup operational?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a dominator stall and lock up is still operational.

I asked Dave about going quicker than 10 seconds. :spoton: (Not that I'd want to do that. :nono: ) He recommended a Powerglide. :spoton:

Geea. :nono:

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 8d

Turbo 400's or C6's are very strong boxes and still provide more than one gear shift, when you beef up a C6 you use a reverse pattern shifter, that is fun on its own