"rumble" Is Back

geea

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 12d

Just picked up my car from Dave @ Kewish. Just before xmas I did the plantary gears. The new gears have been "stress relieved" and for the first time Dave has used a new treatment where they are polished, I don't remember the exact name. The car feels awesome and Dave actually spent half an hour or so explaining and showing me how the auto worked.

Dave also told me that he's looking at getting some different gear sets made up, possibly Bilet.

I'll post more feed back when I've done a few K's but at this stage the car feels better than ever.

Geea. :blink:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 7m 8d

I cant see how you could damage the box Craig, you drive her so gentle and all. :blink:

Good to see you back on the road. more quick times to come I hope.

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 30d

Good news Craig.

Do you know what power level (or torque) that Dave would estimate that it could handle?

Brian

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
Good news Craig.

Do you know what power level (or torque) that Dave would estimate that it could handle?

Brian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure Brian. I'll ask and let you know. I know he's got high expectations for the new gear sets, though I don't know how far away they are.

Geea. :blink:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 27d
Good news Craig.

Brian

Not sure Brian. I'll ask and let you know. I know he's got high expectations for the new gear sets, though I don't know how far away they are.

Geea. :msm:

Well he's got a perfect car to use as a stress test case.

Now go feed that drag racing habit of yours and bring back a new hot weather BP. :blink:

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
Good to see Rumble back on track :spoton: Any prices from Kewish yet Craig on a total rebuild??

Well done again Kewish :spoton:  :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the total rebuild price from Kewish is $1700. This doesn't include the Stall converter which would add $500. I'm not sure what the price for the planetary gears would be as he hasn't found that out himself yet.

My original rebuild in my current car lasted 12 months and 120-150 1/4 mile passes, most in the 10's or low 11's. This was with a genuine 380rwkw's. The box outlasted 2 cv's. When racing I launch @ 3200rpm and achieve this by stalling up in 2nd then banging it into 1st at launch which can't be good for the box.

When Dave pulled the box apart the bands and clutches were fine and it was only the planetaries that had a problem. The 2nd set of planetaries only lasted 3 months. This set had been cold fired and this may have caused them to not last as long. The current set have had different things done to them and we'll see what happens.

Dave's continually looking at ways to make these auto's tougher and to deal with more power and I believe is at the forefront of their development.

Geea. :spoton: