Clunking Aircon

jordak

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 9d

could it be steering column,these were an issue originally and generally needed retensioning or replacing.When aircon is on might be putting more strain in that area.

• Member For: 19y 9m 20d
It's not just the air-con clutch dis-engaging is it?  Or is it coming from the driveline?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know about dis-engaging aircon clutch but this is a definate clunk that has only just appreared and happens when car is stationary or otherwise.

• Member For: 18y 9m 27d

Didn't have a clunk but a fairly loud bang which sounded like it came from underneath the car when aircon was turned on (scared the crap out of us for a while). It happened so often I traced it down to the vent on the passenger side when it opened (or so it seemed). The aircon had issues soon after when it split a pipe and lost gas. I told Ford about the bang when I had the piping repaired, they said they found nothing wrong with the vents and could not re-created the bang, I have not had this problem since the pipe has been fixed and the system re-gased.

Cheers

Capo :laughing:

• Member For: 19y 9m 20d
Didn't have a clunk but a fairly loud bang which sounded like it came from underneath the car when aircon was turned on (scared the crap out of us for a while). It happened so often I traced it down to the vent on the passenger side when it opened (or so it seemed). The aircon had issues soon after when it split a pipe and lost gas. I told Ford about the bang when I had the piping repaired, they said they found nothing wrong with the vents and could not re-created the bang, I have not had this problem since the pipe has been fixed and the system re-gased.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Faulty piping it is then.

Cheers :spoton:

• Member For: 18y 9m 27d

I'm not sure on how the vents are opened whether they are electric or use the gas in the system. It seemed like the vent went to a point and then snapped open causing the bang, we could feel it through the floor. I thought something was hitting under the floorpan like you have said about your car. Not saying this is your problem but sounds similar. Not sure on how far in Ford went looking for the cause of the loud vent (not in town at that time) but they said the leak was very slow from the radiator area and needed welding. The symptom of the cracked piping caused the passenger side to circulate warm air while the drivers side had cool air. It would change from one side to another after a while, at least I had half a cool car. The vents open normally now, I can hear the passenger vent open fully with no bang. Hope this helps.

Cheers