Coasting Fuel Shut-off

• Member For: 18y 7m 7d

Given the limited response to my posting regarding problems associated with Coasting fuel shut-off, it appears the problem is not as widespread as I had originally thought given the responses posted so far. Ford CRC has advised me that it is a characteristic of the marque, if so everyone who has a manual XR6T should be experiencing the same problem. Is this true or false?

2005 XR6T MKII Manual, Lighting Strike, owner.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 4m 3d
Given the limited response to my posting regarding problems associated with Coasting fuel shut-off, it appears the problem is not as widespread as I had originally thought given the responses posted so far.  Ford CRC has advised me that it is a characteristic of the marque, if so everyone who has a manual XR6T should be experiencing the same problem.  Is this true or false? 

2005 XR6T MKII Manual, Lighting Strike, owner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a slight surge but not enough of a problem to warrent a argument with service@ford

• Member For: 20y 4m 27d

I suffer this problem as well and have been battling with Ford over it. They say throttle body. I say there is already a new one in there.

Its in the shop now having drive shafts, control, module etc replaced and will let him know this theory.

However mine not only surges but it feels like it splutters and looses total power. I push the accelerater down with no response then bang she kicks in. The response I got was .... I didnt do it for us sorry!!!!!!!!!!! I said I dont care it does it for me so fix it.

Sorry to say had my mates ss ute for three days while its being fixed and I love it. I may be switching back shortly.

• Member For: 18y 7m 7d

For the XR6T owners who do not have the surging problem count yourself lucky. For those who do have the problem all is not lost. It appears that the problem is associated with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) tuning. Simon from Nizpro Turbocharging informs me that basically the PCM probably has too much spark advance in the coast area of the spark table as well as a possible problem with the hysteresis of the fuel cut off table. Simon advises that the problem can be tuned out.

What bothers me most is that if the problem is known by industry and that there is a solution to the problem then why has Ford not released a "reflash" to rectify the problem, instead of the general public having to rely on after-market gurus like Simon to offer a service (at our expense) to fix the problem.

My sincere thanks to Simon for sharing his knowledge with me. To be fair to the after-market industry whom we rely on so much to fix things that should never has passed quality control or engineering design approval, there are a few authorised dealers who specialize in fixing these sorts of problems.

Edited by galconn

• Forum Superhero
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 2d

True, Mine was shocking, numerous complaints never a solution (T5 Manual). Whoever said that this is unacceptable for close to $50k new car I agree, along with many other build issues is the reason I got rid of mine.

Personally I don't think Ford have a clue why it does it. I think it's the PCM as a number of people have been able to get rid of it, or like me reduce it significantly with an EDIT. The EDIT also got rid of my stalling problem, I so believe that a number of issues are directly related to the PCM's which ford cannot seem to rectify.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 15d

I also have a T5 and have not noticed the surging, but then I do not think I have used the CC much.

That said, I am sure my car has it as it has every other "normal" NCO Ford bless our cars with.

• Forum Superhero
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 2d
For the XR6T owners who do not have the surging problem count yourself lucky.  For those who do have the problem all is not lost.  It appears that the problem is associated with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) tuning.  Simon from Nizpro Turbocharging informs me that basically the PCM probably has too much spark advance in the coast area of the spark table as well as a possible problem with the hysteresis of the fuel cut off table.  Simon advises that the problem can be tuned out.

What bothers me most is that if the problem is known by industry and that there is a solution to the problem then why has Ford not released a "reflash" to rectify the problem, instead of the general public having to rely on after-market gurus like Simon to offer a service (at our expense) to fix the problem.

My sincere thanks to Simon for sharing his knowledge with me.  To be fair to the after-market industry whom we rely on so much to fix things that should never has passed quality control or engineering design approval, there are a few authorised dealers who specialize in fixing these sorts of problems.

OOps did'nt see that post, so it seems my comment was right.

In relation to your frustration about companies outside of Ford being able to rectify issues they cannot, welcome to dealing with Ford. Every mechanical issue I had I got resolved by an outside company after many trips back to the dealer. Even if I wnated to elevate it further or take ford to court I was advised they would fight tooth and nail and bleed you dry rather than fix your problems.

I can gurantee they have no intention of fixing existing problems with cars on the road unless the issue gets media attention. They have sold the car got the money. There focus is developing the next model in which they will then address any issues they are aware of, there is no such thing at Ford as Customer service, your warranty is a bit of paper that's worth nothing and if it's not a simple fix, then it's within tolerances.

An example of this is their diff issues, at one stage 2100 diffs on backorder for warranty replacement but no recall? Toyota recently had a recall due to a fualt on 110 cars but recalled the lot, does'nt that show you the quality of company you are dealing with?

Bring On Lemon Laws.

Guest newl
  • Guests

I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones. I use the cruise control all the time, even around town and have never experienced a problem such as this. I have experienced stalling though, twice at lights usually when in performance mode and letting the computer shift from second to first. (still yet to let the dealer have a go at this one).

• Member For: 20y 11m 26d

OK guys.. here it is....

I too had this problem.... I have worked out that if my tuner (Simon - Xtreme) uses (and ONLY uses) version 1.7 of the edit software the problem is more or less ELIMINATED.

My factory tune did this surging thing and I thought it was normal... I then got my car edited and the problem disappeared.

A few months later I asked Simon for some changes and when he gave me my new tune the surging was back! (This tune was now verison 1.8 of the Edit software)

After some to-ing and fro-ing it seems that version 1.7 of the software is (possibly) the the only version that does not have the surging.

With any other version (not 1.7) it can be seen from the instant L/100km readout that the fuel is completely shut off during decel when engine revs are approx > 2750 rpm. With version 1.7 the fuel is not completely shutoff and as such it makes for a MUCH smoother throttle on/off transition.

I hope this helps you Manual T5 guys! It should!

On a side note, with v1.7 I have noticed about 30km/tank less total range than if you use v1.8. I think this slight drop in total range is more than worth the immense improvement in driving pleasure!

Ross