Window Tints

Cro

• Member For: 20y 11m 9d
For melbourne (not sure if rules are different in all states) Whats the darkest legal tint?

Looking to get it a bit darker I think?

What tits do ppl have? My Brother got darker like 20% on rear and not so dark on sides?

Any ideas??

35% vlt is legal limit in all states except SA, front windscreens are illegal everywhere. 20% is darker than 35%, because it's refering to the amount of light allowed to be transmitted through the glass.

I have a film called EMINM35 on my car and people think it's illegal because it looks darker than legal but it's still 35%. You can get it from anyone who uses MEP Films. They are one of the largest suppliers in Australia so shouldn't be hard to find someone who uses it.

I'm pretty sure TINTR is in Melbourne and I think he uses that film also, shoot him a pm and ask.

Cheers.

Big AL

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 7m 4d

just wanting to know if this is suppose to be normal or not..

when you get tints done, is it meant to fill the entire glass or is it only meant to look like it fills the entire window when the windows up?

after I waited the 48 hours after getting my tints done, I pulled down the windows and theres a half cm of window that hasn't been covered with tint and its very noticable.

• 1 month later...
just wanting to know if this is suppose to be normal or not..

when you get tints done, is it meant to fill the entire glass or is it only meant to look like it fills the entire window when the windows up?

after I waited the 48 hours after getting my tints done, I pulled down the windows and theres a half cm of window that hasn't been covered with tint and its very noticable.

Mate that's the way we used to tint cars 20yrs ago, most now go right to the top edge (custom fit). We also take the rubber out of the door frame so you don't get a gap down the sides either. Sounds like the way yours has been done is the quick and easy way but not very attractive. I hope it was cheap. It takes longer and therefore costs more to do it the way we do.

Big AL

• Member For: 17y 7m 4d
Mate that's the way we used to tint cars 20yrs ago, most now go right to the top edge (custom fit). We also take the rubber out of the door frame so you don't get a gap down the sides either. Sounds like the way yours has been done is the quick and easy way but not very attractive. I hope it was cheap. It takes longer and therefore costs more to do it the way we do.

Big AL

Thanks for the advice Big AL.. I think u may be right.

it costed $150 for everything. which I thought was top price.

The rubbers were taken off the door before installation.. I had asked why I have gaps, and I was told that in order to get the tint to cover the entire window, the glass had to be removed from the door, and that the gaps are acceptable in their opinion as it will crinkle anyway in the long run =/ ..

however both rear windows began to peel off at the top, and so I took it back to get new ones put up. and as he made the first replacement, it actually fitted the entire window perfectly, which made me think I was just getting told what I wanted to hear.

but there was a blob of glue in the middle of the window (between the tint and window)

and so that was pulled off and another one was made really quickly, but had gaps that this time could be seen when the windows closed. and as I was starring at it, I was given a bunch of colourful words and told to be on my way.

I think its worth it to pay an extra few $100 from now on

Thanks for the advice Big AL.. I think u may be right.

it costed $150 for everything. which I thought was top price.

The rubbers were taken off the door before installation.. I had asked why I have gaps, and I was told that in order to get the tint to cover the entire window, the glass had to be removed from the door, and that the gaps are acceptable in their opinion as it will crinkle anyway in the long run =/ ..

however both rear windows began to peel off at the top, and so I took it back to get new ones put up. and as he made the first replacement, it actually fitted the entire window perfectly, which made me think I was just getting told what I wanted to hear.

but there was a blob of glue in the middle of the window (between the tint and window)

and so that was pulled off and another one was made really quickly, but had gaps that this time could be seen when the windows closed. and as I was starring at it, I was given a bunch of colourful words and told to be on my way.

I think its worth it to pay an extra few $100 from now on

I know the feeling we have a company here on the coast that treats it's customers like that, we get a few people in asking us to fix what they refused to fix.

We charge around $300 for a custom fitted film with lifetime warranty. In the end you get what you pay for most of the time.

Big AL