Second Hand Edits

bugster70

• Member For: 19y 10m 26d

You have a few alternatives

1. Assuming you take your car to your local dealer for servicing. Tell them that your car is running perfectly. So please don't reflash it

2. Tell your local dealer what you have done and ask them never to reflash the PCM

3. Take it to someone else to do services

4. Sacrifice your lives on the box if they do happen to reflash.

Lets face it I've had my T for 18 months and it still has the original flash, so 5 lives will more than see you into a newie anyways.

my preference is 2 & 4

Be honest and they will look after you :laughing:

macka

• Member For: 18y 7m 6d

I'm a bit iffy on option 2 Macka, I think if you come clean you're digging your own grave. I mean on other mods I'd agree, honesty is always the best policy. With this though, it's not just a "mild tweak" of fuel & timing, they're upping the boost as well, which means if you've flashed in the 98RON 10PSI map & the missus forgets and puts in normal unleaded trying to save a buck, you're up the proverbial before you know what's hit you. If your dealership knows that this is even a remote possibility, it's more than likely a risk they're not willing to take. My bet is they'll wipe your warranty (at least on the engine).

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 25d

No I am with you Macka, honesty is the best policy. If you load a 98ron 10psi tune and you or your wife puts lower octane fuel in it by accident then why shoud Ford pay for any damage caused?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 26d
Also just to clarify, SIXRT when you say you can have the F slot cleared, does that mean you can do it yourself, or do you have to take it to someone who has the software to do custom tunes? If you had to take it to someone I guess the inconvenience factor may dictate whether you get it update or not. :laughing:

You need to take you flashbox to an edit dealer, who can clear the F slot for you.

I'm a bit iffy on option 2 Macka, I think if you come clean you're digging your own grave. I mean on other mods I'd agree, honesty is always the best policy. With this though, it's not just a "mild tweak" of fuel & timing, they're upping the boost as well, which means if you've flashed in the 98RON 10PSI map & the missus forgets and puts in normal unleaded trying to save a buck, you're up the proverbial before you know what's hit you. If your dealership knows that this is even a remote possibility, it's more than likely a risk they're not willing to take. My bet is they'll wipe your warranty (at least on the engine).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been honest with my local dealer and as most hear are aware my mods are pretty easy for all to see, so I felt that I had no choice but to come clean and tell them that I had a chip fitted. They have replaced 2 tranmittions and have ordered a new diff to be fitted next week, before I leave for QLD.

And I did'nt even buy the car from them. :spoton: They have however always done the servicing on the vehicle.

I might be lucky and have found a good dealer. :kissmy: I'd suggest that you look around and ask various dealers about mods and gauge their reaction to your questions. Good dealers are out there just few and far between.

As for leaving the 10 psi map in and letting the miss's drive the car that would be a :kissmy: from me. Hell she's lucky to even be allowed to sit in the car :laughing: and I certainly would'nt be leaving it in there when I take it in for a service unless I knew the bloke that was working on it. Even then I most likely would'nt

macka

• Like 1

• Member For: 18y 7m 6d

Sorry guys perhaps I could have chosen my words better back there. I wasn't inferring that you should keep quiet so if you break something you can get it fixed under warranty. I was simply giving an example of why a dealership might void your warranty if they found out you had been messing with the ECU, regardless of whether you were trying to make a warranty claim at the time or not.

Macka I know the guys at my dealership pretty well too, and they're alright guys, I just figured they didn't need to know. Besides, if something was to break under warranty that was seemingly unrelated to the power upgrade, they'd still be obliged to tell those higher up the foodchain about the mods, and they might not be as accommodating as the "first line" guys in the workshop who we get on with. Management tends to be like that.

I reckon if you break something, you pay for it. Fair's fair.

Sacrifice your lives on the box if they do happen to reflash. 

dw....comon mis conception you dont loose a life with a reflash if:

1 you flash f slot back in. (mind you if you dont the box needs to go back to sct)

2 if you dont care about loosing the new ford flash with the next time you put the f slot back in! (the f slot will not be upgraded with the new ford flash unless you clear the box and loose a life)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

explaining 2 a bit better the box will work after the ford reflash but it will reinstate your initial ford flash when f slot selected!!!

Macka I know the guys at my dealership pretty well too, and they're alright guys, I just figured they didn't need to know. Besides, if something was to break under warranty that was seemingly unrelated to the power upgrade, they'd still be obliged to tell those higher up the foodchain about the mods, and they might not be as accommodating as the "first line" guys in the workshop who we get on with. Management tends to be like that.

I reckon if you break something, you pay for it. Fair's fair.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your probably right, most dealers vary with their commintment on warranty issues.

I've no doubt been lucky, with the support I've recieved both from theservice manager and the dealership owner. :stirthepot:

Jf you know the mechanics that work on your car pretty well I'd just have a quiet word with them and ask them not reflash the PCM and give them the reasons why. I'm sure they'll be on your side and not reflash. :fool:

macka