Second Hand Edits

bugster70

• Benzene
  • Member For: 19y 9m 26d

So say I owned an xr8 with a custom tune and decided to trade it on a xr6t could I get the box unlocked so I could use it on my T but keep the map for the XR8 in there and use the other 2 spots for the T's maps then say I decided to trade back to an xr8 get it unlocked again and install the original cutom map from the 1st XR8????? If that makes any sense?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 28d

I have used my box on 2 cars and did not get anything unlocked.... Did you try to use it on your car before you got this information?? If so it obviously did not work or you would not have gone to the trouble to find out about this unlocking stuff??

So say I owned an xr8 with a custom tune and decided to trade it on a xr6t could I get the box unlocked so I could use it on my T but keep the map for the XR8 in there and use the other 2 spots for the T's maps then say I decided to trade back to an xr8 get it unlocked again and install the original cutom map from the 1st XR8????? If that makes any sense?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no normally while unlocking it cuts you out of using previous maps and jet I want your box ill swap you???? lol actually I got your box ill just swap you, you wont know!!!! :laughing::spoton::tease: if true I could tune multiple cars with one box!!!!

some how I dont think so as you got mkII tunes in it yeah???

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 26d
I have used my box on 2 cars and did not get anything unlocked.... Did you try to use it on your car before you got this information?? If so it obviously did not work or you would not have gone to the trouble to find out about this unlocking stuff??

That doesn't sound right to me Jet, but if that really happened you're either very lucky or have a freak box mate. Or both! :msm:

Yeah, I did try to load up the maps into my car and it just wouldn't do it - instead of the 4 strobes flashing in sequence (depending on which way info was being transferred), all 4 strobes just flashed at the same time and nothing happened. :msm: Luckily, the car started just fine with its original factory tune still intact. I sort of knew it wouldn't work, but me being me I just had to give it a try!! :spit::spoton:

• Donating Members

no normally while unlocking it cuts you out of using previous maps and jet I want your box ill swap you???? lol actually I got your box ill just swap you, you wont know!!!! :spoton::msm::msm: if true I could tune multiple cars with one box!!!!

some how I dont think so as you got mkII tunes in it yeah???

Swanga, sorry mate, I didn't ask that question specifically so can't give you an answer. My basic understanding would have said yes, that's fine, but obviously Dynowog (who knows a helluva lot more about this than me! :msm: ) disagrees.

I'm a little concerned that Dynowog is saying that unlocking cuts you out of previous maps, 'cos I really want to keep a custom map that was already loaded in my box. The bloke I spoke to at CAPA said I should be able to keep it, but I guess the proof is in the pudding and I'll only really know when I have the box returned to me! :spit:

• Donating Members
As for the unlocking process, CAPA can unlock the box but retain tunes in the box if you so wish.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I figured there'd be enough people out there wanting to know this sort of stuff. :3gears:

Unfortunately I now have to make an amendment to what I said (see above quote). It would appear that this is not the case! I received my box back from CAPA and they had indeed installed their latest 8psi and 10psi maps for me. However, unlocking the box must have wiped the entire memory in the process as now the 12psi tune is missing - I cannot even select P3, which must mean there's nothing in it!! :nono::gooff:

I'm a little pissed off to say the least and have rung CAPA about it. It seems that even they are a little confused by all this and asked me to set out clearly exactly what happened and fax it to them, which I have now done. Apparently they will send it to SCT in the USA to get a final answer on this aspect. Sigh. :fool:

But all is not lost. I am currently running their latest 8psi map and am loving it! Haven't tried the 10psi map yet as I am only running 95RON fuel at the moment and want to wait until I put in 98RON to minimise the risk of detonation. :gooff:

I'll keep you all posted if and when I hear back from our friends at CAPA. :spoton:

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 18y 6m 12d

Hey bugster70, great posts.

I've had my T for about 4 months and am thinking about getting a capa box.

One question for you though, can you update the factory tune periodically, if Ford brings out more updated tunes? For instance, when I took mine in for it's 3000km service they put in the update for the "overboost" issue. If I had already purchased a capa box and loaded the factory tune into it, could I update that factory setting with the new tune that they put in during the service?

Being that the car is still under warranty and all, it wouldn't take much for them to notice that the "fix" they had previously applied has mysteriously gone missing.

Is that what you guys do? flash in the 8psi tune, and then reload the factory one before taking it in for a service?

Cheers.