Brembo Vs Ap Racing Stoppers

SavageF6

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 11m 28d

Gents,

Recently on this forum, someone drew my attention to the fact that John Bowe has introduced his own line of aftermarket products into some Ford dealerships. The brake upgrades are AP Racing kits.

www.johnboweperformance.com.au

I'd decided to buy my HgAg Typhoon in the next few weeks, when the update rolls out Octoberish. Was planning to get leather, Brembo etc etc.

Well, at the local dealership where I am, theres an HgAg F6 Typhoon in the showroom, with leather and the normal FPV brakes. This got me thinking - I could get an AP Racing kit fitted.

I really wanted to get the Brembos for a couple of reasons (single, no kids etc), but the AP racing brakes really seem quite good. There are two versions:

-John Bowe performance brakes (ie standard upgrade) - AP Racing 4 piston front and back, like the Brembos. In this case, I'd just get the Brembos as a factory option I reckon, on a newly ordered car.

-John Bowe "Signature" brakes (ie upper teir) - AP Racing 6 piston caliper front 4 piston back. Seems a level above what FPV offer with the brembo. In this 'ere case, I could get the car with standard brakes and, have these "signature" brakes fitted. Oh, I think these are the same ones fitted to the DTS Clubsport. You know, the track-pack one.

Other things to consider:

-The JB Signature brakes cost $7,590.00 !!! but replacement pads cost $700 the lot (Ferodo), says the chick that replied to my email.

-The JB performance brakes cost $5,500 fitted etc

-As we know, the Brembos cost $5,950, and the pads can cost ~$2500 ?! from my dealer enquiries.

I know all options (including the factory standard option) will stop the car, but I'm just trying to decide which way to go. $7,590 is a MASSIVE outlay for stoppers, and the Brembos DO look sexy. I suspect my brain is only forming part of the decision making process here.

It's not so much an issue of diverting funds from edits and injectors, that's going to happen anyway, I just don't know which way to go. I do tend to drive enthusiatically...

You see? Now I'm all frustrated :spit:

:spoton:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents,

Recently on this forum, someone drew my attention to the fact that John Bowe has introduced his own line of aftermarket products into some Ford dealerships. The brake upgrades are AP Racing kits.

www.johnboweperformance.com.au

I'd decided to buy my HgAg Typhoon in the next few weeks, when the update rolls out Octoberish. Was planning to get leather, Brembo etc etc.

Well, at the local dealership where I am, theres an HgAg F6 Typhoon in the showroom, with leather and the normal FPV brakes. This got me thinking - I could get an AP Racing kit fitted.

I really wanted to get the Brembos for a couple of reasons (single, no kids etc), but the AP racing brakes really seem quite good. There are two versions:

-John Bowe performance brakes (ie standard upgrade) - AP Racing 4 piston front and back, like the Brembos. In this case, I'd just get the Brembos as a factory option I reckon, on a newly ordered car.

-John Bowe "Signature" brakes (ie upper teir) - AP Racing 6 piston caliper front 4 piston back. Seems a level above what FPV offer with the brembo. In this 'ere case, I could get the car with standard brakes and, have these "signature" brakes fitted. Oh, I think these are the same ones fitted to the DTS Clubsport. You know, the track-pack one.

Other things to consider:

-The JB Signature brakes cost $7,590.00 !!! but replacement pads cost $700 the lot (Ferodo), says the chick that replied to my email.

-The JB performance brakes cost $5,500 fitted etc

-As we know, the Brembos cost $5,950, and the pads can cost ~$2500 ?! from my dealer enquiries.

I know all options (including the factory standard option) will stop the car, but I'm just trying to decide which way to go. $7,590 is a MASSIVE outlay for stoppers, and the Brembos DO look sexy. I suspect my brain is only forming part of the decision making process here.

It's not so much an issue of diverting funds from edits and injectors, that's going to happen anyway, I just don't know which way to go. I do tend to drive enthusiatically...

You see? Now I'm all frustrated  :sick:

:laughing:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pads arnt that much ill get a genuine brembo pad price!

• Member For: 19y 23d

I have big four pot AP race brakes on my Cobra race car - and they are fantastic. Not sure of the sizes etc compared to the ones on offer - but they look to be bigger than the brembos I have seen. Also - the car weighs a bit over half of the weight of the Falcon, so that makes a big difference.

Pads are easy to get from lots of places, good prices, and lots of different compounds are available.

I am sure you could get either the Brembos or AP brakes cheaper than through ford or JB racing.

PS - if you decide to remove your standard F6 brakes - I would be interested for my XR6T if they are a reasonable price. PM if you are interested in selling them.

Edited by cobrav8

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 2d

The Brembo replacement pads from Frod are $900, you can get them for $600 from a good brake place.

If I had a choice I would get the Brembo's if I wanted a 4spot replacement, but if the budget stretched, I would get the 6spot AP's.

• Donating Members

CobraV8, no prob. If I end up ripping the brakes off a phoon I'll let you know. I'm a big fan of AP Racing, and a factory endorsed AP brake kit tickles my fancy.

Dynowog, that'd be appreciated. I've only enquired from 2 Ford dealers, and they haven't exactly been supplying mates rates.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off not having the choice :sick:

Cheers guys.

:laughing:

• Donating Members

Zap, I'm following similar thinking at the moment, if only to save myself the trouble of replacing brakes on a new car.

Hmmm, that HgAg phoon in the showroom did drive mightly nicely... Silver Ap stoppers would look so nice. Then again, red Brembo...

DAMMIT!!!! :fool:

6 pots might be a bit too much overkill even for me. I could stretch the budget if needed, but there's no way I could ever justify it, other than so say I've got the biggest brakes that I'VE ever seen

:tease: (again)

:nyyaah:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 7d

I went for the Brembo's on my F6 and I'm really happy with them. Track days are a dream as they simply never fade. The AP 6 pots would be a great setup but really the Brembo's are more than enough even if you do track days regularly. Forget the price the Ford guys give you for pads, you can pick up a set for well under a grand if you look around.

For what its worth my susgestion would be go the Brembo's and then spend the 'difference' between Brembos and the AP 6 pots on an edit and hi flow cat. The best part about your decision is you can't make a bad choice - AP or Brembo are both sensational stoppers.

• Member For: 19y 23d

Has anyone fitted Wilwood rotors and calipers to the XR6T?

They have a range of 4 or 6 pot calipers as well, and all sorts of compound pads etc. They are probably cheaper than AP or Brembo - but I would say that they work just as well.

• Forum Superhero
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 20d

Ap's and Brembo's and even for the point Alcon's are the best brakes you can get.

For this point Brembo's and AP are basically as good as each other.

I would not bother going through JB racing or ford for these when you can go to many reputable barke places and get the same product much cheaper.

Race Brakes Aus wide do alot the the race cars you see as well as alot of quick street cars. In fact they fitted JB's First BA with AP's as well as doing the first Typhoon ford manufactured before it was released to the public.

From recolection I was looking at 6 pot Ap's for $4k fitted.

Don't get caught in the trap of paying for some smick marketing pitch, all they are doing is getting these brakes from the same place anyone else in the industry does and charging for a name.

Do your research and I think you will be surprised at what alot of traditional brake /mechanical places can do for you.

Which ever brake package you go out of these, you will not be dissapointed. :nyyaah: