Jacking Up The T?

Bain

• Member For: 19y 28d

Howdy all,

Im just wondering what is the best way to jack the car up to put it on car stands?

Where are the 'safe points' I can put my hydraulic jack without worrying if im going to bend/snap/missalign something.

I know the car stands sit where the scissor jack normally goes. But how do I raise the front and rear to put them in?

Thanks in advance!

Bain

• Member For: 18y 10m 14d

I jacked up mine last weekend. At the front via the crossmember in front of the oil sump and the rear just behind the diff (not the diff itself). In both cases they were raised for a couple of hours. Just chock the front wheels when you lift the rear.

Muz

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 17d

The front crossmember is a piece of sh!t alloy - it is not meant to support the weight of the vehicle except at it's own mount points. Jacking under the centre of it will result in damage - I've seen it!

Also not good to jack under the diff with a vehicle with IRS - again. the diff housing, nor it's mounts, are meant to support the weight of the vehicle.

Jack under the chassis rails near to the "jacking" points, or from any reinforced section near the suspension mounts that you can see, and then place the stands under. With IRS vehicles it is better to jack one side at a time rather than the front or rear.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 14d

Jack and put the jackstands under the lower control arms.

if you want to remove the wheels or work on the suspension, the jack under the lower control arms and place the jackstands under the jacking points at each end ofthe lower sill of the car.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 14d

I have not had to use the jackstands on the T yet, but I do not see it being a problem. Just make sure you place them carefully and not drop the car onto the stands, lower it carefully.

• Member For: 18y 10m 14d
I jacked up mine last weekend.  At the front via the crossmember in front of the oil sump and the rear just behind the diff (not the diff itself).  In both cases they were raised for a couple of hours.  Just chock the front wheels when you lift the rear.

Muz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't do this. I gave you a bumsteer. I've learnt that I have NFI about jacking up Falcon's. Sorry.

Muz

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 13d

I replaced the brakes on the ute last weekend. Had the car up on stands placed under the chassis rails at the front..... not sure if sedan has them though?

I raised the side at the proper jack point, and positioned the jack stand in place under the chassis rail, and did the same for the other front side.

For the rear, I raised it via the diff and then placed the jack stands under the leaf spring shackles (where they mount to the axle)