Oil Consumption

ASNU

Guest blueXRT
  • Guests

The t has done less than 3400k and yesterday to my amazment when I checked the oil the dip stick came out almost clear of any oil!! :thumbsup: Given it was a Sunday I had no choice but to top it up with synthetic oil and today I phoned the dealer to book it in, They are going to do an oil consumption test which means they will check the levels then tape off the stick/cap and sump then check it after another 3ks?? Would be interested to know if anyone is currently participating in similar development testing on behalf of ford?? :thumbsup:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Member For: 21y 2m 3d

Exactly the same thing happened to me mate,3000km old and nearlly no oil.Carried out the oil consuption test with dealer and now all Ok.Makes me think so times they they are not filling the oil up at all.No signs of leakage or oil burning on the plugs when checked so maybe the guy filling the oil on the manufactureing line is going to sleep or something.Maybe it is a cost cutting measure.

I think Trumpy had the same thing as me with low oil level as his is OK now too.

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

Same problem here.

Full oil change to Synthetic happened at 3500km. Been checking every 500km's on cold engine and it seems fine for now.

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 25d

I heard my name!

Yeah, I had the same problem. Level was fine (I checked) after first service at 5000km. By 7500 it was almost off the dipstick. Put on oil consumption test, drive 2000km and it didnt use another drop. Between 9500 and my 15000km service it only moved a millemetre down the stick, fine in my opinion.

The service guy couldnt explain where 2.5 litres of oil went to (how much I added in before cons test) as there were no leaks to show. Great mystery of the modern world I guess.

So I would recommend everyone keep a close eye on the level of oil in a new engine. They seem to use a bit while they run in. I thought myself and ASNU had isolated cases, but it seems to be popping up a bit more now. Just keep them topped up and it should work out. If in doubt, see your dealer.

• Member For: 20y 10m 17d

Perhaps it is because of all the oil burners I have owned in the past, but I check my oil every 1000k`s or so. I have over 9000kms on the big girl now and I have had no oil consumption problems ( petrol is a different matter :lol: )

For my own piece of mind I had the oil & filter changed at 7500km.

Cro: you mentioned you had yours re-filled with syntheticd oil, was this thru the dealer? if so what did they charge you if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers

PSI

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

It was through the dealer, and I am not too sure how much it cost.

He was too busy to type it all up and will give me the invoice next time I'm in.

I'll keep you posted.

It is some new Shell Oil, fully Synthetic. He couldnt remember it's exact name.

• Member For: 20y 11m 11d

I had similar problems about 2 ltrs before 3,000kms. I told the dealer about it, but I also had clouds of smoke comming out the exhaust when I started the car. At the 3k service(which was done at 5k as they couldn't fit me in) They said they had checked everything topped up the oil and couldn't find anything wrong with it no smoke nothing.(it smoked when I drove it there) For about 3 days after it still smoked when starting then mysteriously it dissapeared and it hasent used a drop since. I now have 20k on the clock and did the 15k service at about 17k (same again couldn't fit me in) still no smoke or oil usage but I am still checking and a bit on the weary side as they may have used additives to get it to stop smoking.

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 3m 12d

Re: synthetic oil

Most mechanics I've talked to don't reccomend synthetic oil until after 10,000km, after it's well and truly run in. I guess the Ford dealer know what they're doing.