Oil Consumption

ASNU

• ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 7d
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!

Only smoke I've had was the Cuban cigar I celebrated with when I bought my 'Bird' home :D

Although the oil level has dropped alittle, but not enough to worry about just keeping an eye on it. :thumbsup:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest booze
  • Guests
I thought it was only LS1 V8s that went through these dramas. Be interesting to see how quick the Expensive Daewoo boys get hold of this story and run with it.

didnt the ford boys run with the oil story of the ls1??? and its not all ls1's neway, only 2 percent...just like not all the new falcons will have oil problems...prolly only a small percentage as well

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 14d

Agreed that it is only a small number that have problems, and that all new cars will have some problems here and there,its the way that Expensive Daewoo are dealing with the problem is what I find amusing. A certain sales and marketing manager at GMH stating that it is the owners perception of the problem, not a real problem in itself. In other words, it is not an engine problem, but just winging owners?

At least my dealer (and Ford) are dealing with my problem in an efficient and professional manner.

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 26d

In relation to oil usage if the car is still using the factory oil I would change it to a top qaulity oil such as we use this PENRITE 10 TENHS 15W-40 We have done 12000 km with out using any oil at all.

I changed the oil at 1000 km and as every turbo motor should have at every 5000 km mark as the oil runs very hot. this is the best car we have owned and driven .

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members

Thanks for the ideas. I agree with only using top quality oil and changing the oil regularly (I have a 11000rpm motorcycle, oil changed at 5000 without fail.

The thing that worried me was the quantity of oil that went missing, which is why I am going through the consumption test etc. If it only lost 500ml or so I wouldnt have cared, topped it up and kept going. You all would never have heard! We'll see what happens.

• ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 7d
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!

I gather Penrite 10TENHS 15W-40 is mineral based oil?

• 3 weeks later...
  • What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members

(BUMP)

Well I have done the 2000Km and taken it back to the dealer, and it has only moved a millimetre down the dipstick. Not sure exactly how much oil use that equates to, but it is within the acceptable range.

They were not able to tell me where all the oil that I lost had gotten to (it must be around here somewhere :idunno: ) so all I can really go on is that the engine was still settling in. Maybe the more mechanical types around here can advise.

I am going to keep a close eye on it, and basically just see how it goes leading up to the 15000 service in 5000km time.

I guess I am relieved that they are not taking the engine out though, as my VT Late model camira and my last motorbike both had their engines out very early in their lives for oil leaks. Me? Jinxed? Nah, just unlucky! B)

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 23d

Trumpy ... did the car have an oil change between you checking the levels ?

if so .. it is not uncommon for a mechanic to loose count of his 1/2 gallon containers going in .... :tears:

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members

It was definitely oil use, as I checked the level after its 3000K service (at 4800Km). The level was spot on at that point. One of the great mysteries of the modern world.....