Centre Muffler Removal

geea

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 20d
;) Hey Hg Ag, I'm sure you are a nice guy. The times done in my car were measured with a "Bell accelerometer" which cost me $750, I concede they may lose a couple of 100ths of a sec for accuracy but both times the run was with half tank gas, octane booster, 18 degrees at night on the same dead flat surface. With the environment and all variables the same, the car lost time, both runs done in auto foot to the floor. If I was going to bullsh*t it would be a bigger woppa than a couple of tenths of a second. The things do 0-100 in 5.7 out of the box, or maybe my car is just quicker than yours. :tonguepoke:

Guest Trevor
  • Guests

I am having mine done in the next week or so and getting before and after dyno figures so I will be able to quantify the difference (if any) with a fair degree of accuracy.

will keep you posted when the results are in.

Trevor

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 25d

I had the centre muffler removed yesterday.

I replaced it with mandrel bent dual 2.5" rather than the standard 2.25".

It is a bit louder at idle; a definite drone and sportier, but does not drone at 100-120kph. I'm happy with the result, as mid-range feels a bit stronger, and it feels like it revs out better.

It was done by Tuffy's (who do my exhaust work), who are right next to C&V. We tested the noise level back-to-back against the C&V APS exhaust, and it was around 3db quiter at 3500revs than the APS exhaust.

Brian

Guest 56Mainline
  • Guests

Good onya Brian.

The sound will quiten down even further when you get the T chipped. At least, that's what I found. Less fuel in the system throughout the RPM range including at idle (warm and cold) may have something to do with it?

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 23d

Hi Brian,

Do you have any pics of the new exhaust? Where is the retail outlet that you had it fitted? Im in sydney and am looking at mods for the T.

How much RKW did it improve the car by?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 16d

I'm thinking of getting the centre muffler re-installed. I was initially pretty happy with having it removed it but its getting louder - on startup it drones and sounds sh%t - I've also noticed that it seems to bog down especially when giving the car a bootful when going up a hill or hooking into curves, seems to be more lag than I remembered. Definately feels too rich in some circumstances.

Once you get up and running its not too loud but backing out of the garage the droning is bad enough to rattle plates inside the house.

I've thought about chipping to remove the richness but its a leased car and I'm very leary of the consequences should something fail drastically. It would be OK if I could get away with it for another 2.5 years but I think that unlikely.