Centre Muffler Removal

geea

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 20d
I'm thinking of getting the centre muffler re-installed. I was initially pretty happy with having it removed it but its getting louder - on startup it drones and sounds sh%t - I've also noticed that it seems to bog down especially when giving the car a bootful when going up a hill or hooking into curves, seems to be more lag than I remembered. Definately feels too rich in some circumstances.

:bowdown:

Been there done that, nothing but slowly compounding power loss. I ended up trying hot dogs, same same, Finally went to a 2.5 stainless centre muffler $550 or $650 and a K&N filter got my power and sound back. Hope you kept the centre muffler they are nearly $400. I ended up replacing the whole exhaust with a twin 2.5 stainless and would have saved plenty of money and greif if I had done that in the first place. As far as cutting out centre muffler is concerned, from my experience. No No No No No No No. :sick::hrmm::ermm: Re-install the factory muffler and you'll notice your torque come back.

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 18d

My car is booked in for Monday at the exhaust shop to get this done, maybe now I should cancel......

Hammer, I have a full XR8 exhaust system from cats back, if I am convinced enough not to go ahead you can have the XR8 system (its the same centre section as a turbo)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 15d

I've still got the centre exhaust - its not a quick bolt back in as they didn't flange it the way I asked them to when it was cut out.

Mick - thanks for the offer - I've got it booked in on Thursday for City Exhaust to have another look at it. When we went on the cruise to Batemans Bay I'd only just had it fitted and thought it was OK but over time I'm less convinced. I'll be bringing the car into work on Thursday so if you like I could bring it out to Mitchell and you can hear what it sounds like a few months after removal.

cheers

Martin

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 18d

What I would like to do hammer is give you the XR8 centre section, and try your pipe section on my car? Just unbolt it, flange to flange.

I can then take "your" pipes and my T down to Gas Tune one night, and have a dyno session and see how we go.....

Or I can just stick to my original plan, and do all that myself! :lol:

Let me know what your plans are for your centre section.

• Member For: 21y 1m 6d

I've done the centre muffler removal also, and nothing but pleased with the results.

Hypnodoc- I remember in an earlier post you said the mid range was flat etc after the center muffler removal and you were looking for other options. Then in another post later you mentioned that the dyno you were running on was found to be faulty?

Are the two events related?

Also, conspiracy theory, does the ECU learn and detune for the free flowing exhaust over time :)

• Member For: 21y 24d

Also, conspiracy theory, does the ECU learn and detune for the free flowing exhaust over time

I have heard that the T ECU does this too. Alot of guys found the same thing with Expensive Daewoo V8's when upgrading them. Big power gains at first then slowly back to stock. I think I heard that anything up to 10 maybe 15 KW is ok after that the ECU knobbles things. Go with the piggy back computer.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 20d
Hypnodoc- I remember in an earlier post you said the mid range was flat etc after the center muffler removal and you were looking for other options. Then in another post later you mentioned that the dyno you were running on was found to be faulty?

;)

I think I definately began to lose power when I chopped out the centre muffler. The Dyno that was used to first install the UNICHIP still gave a twenty kW lower reading after it had been fixed. If I had to do it all again I definately wouldn't remove the centre muffler. I have come a long way since then, changed injectors etc. Took delivery this morning of a PWR intercooler, twice the standard size with only 1.5lb restriction. Now I can only stare at it until FORMAZ re-open on 12th Jan. With this in, a bigger BOV, and stronger wastegate actuator, it should blow 15lb of boost quite happily. I have a twin 2.5 stainless Manta centre muffler at the moment, getting rear bit fitted on the 5th Jan with high flow cat. Had an xcellent cold air mod fitted today (see post). So 400kW (motor) is the target for Jan.

:oooh::smilielol::smilielol::hrmm: