Oils Ain't Oils

Grass

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 2d

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what type / Grade/ Brand of oils you guys are using or recommend in your XR6 Turbos?

If this has already been discussed, someone please point me in the right direction..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CNUTOX
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 13d

A mechanic mate of mine recomended 5w-40 fully synthetic. I use either Motul excess 800 or fuchs super syn.

I heard a rumour, that because of our lax advertising standards in Aus, if it is stated too be "fully" synthetic it is only required to contain 75% synthetics and the rest whatever they want to put in it. So buying something that is bottled overseas negates this issue. I beleive the new super syn from Mobile is 100% though.

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 18d

I use what Ford recommend, the genuine Ford LPG oil.

I use this because, if there is ever any concern/finger pointing to why my engine stopped, at least it has the right stuff in the sump.

I change the oil and filter every 5000klms.

Hope this helps. :laughing:

• Member For: 20y 9m 30d

I use castrol Magnatec, as do most of the users on this forum. Ford also put this same oil in my car.

I change my oil every 7500kms, one service by me with new filter, and one by ford on the 15K multiple.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 2d
I use castrol Magnatec, as do most of the users on this forum. Ford also put this same oil in my car.

I change my oil every 7500kms, one service by me with new filter, and one by ford on the 15K multiple.

Cheers,

The funny thing is Magnatec is a 10/40 and Ford stipulate a 15/40.

Really we should be using the GTX3, shouldn't we?

Personally, I'm not a synthetic man, but I think there are better quality oils around than Castrol or Valvoline..

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 10d

Any Oil that meets or exceeds the Ford specification for that vehicle is acceptable and use will not void warranty.

AS PER FORD SPEC:

Engine Oil (6cyl E-Gas and Turbo only)

Recommended use only engine oil which meets the Requirements of API Specification SJ/CF (not SJ or CF alone).

For optimum Fuel economy use SAE Viscosity grade 15W-40.

Ford specification WSE-M2C905-A.

Ford R1-340 meets these specifications.

Engine Oil FPV incl. F6-270-Turbo, GT GT-P

Boss 290: Recommended Castrol Formula-R SAE viscosity 0W-40.

F6-270 Turbo: Recommended Mineral SEA viscosity grade 15W-40

NOTE:

WARNING: Use of alternative oils may result in degraded performance, Fuel economy and emissions.

Do not use non-detergent or API class SC, SD, SE, SF, SG, or SH oils or oil additives.

Full synthetic is a talking point and the general consensus is even though its top shelf it should not be used until the engine components bed in, so recommended only after @ 3000 km. or excessive oil burn can/may result.

Magnatec and GTX is fine and used by many and meets all Ford specs for the T.

Keeping in mind that Ford have no allegiance with any Oil company and as such depending on what dealer you visit you could get any brand of oil as each dealer has its own choice of oil supplier and as long as it meets Ford spec its not a problem what brand.

Guest FatBAt
  • Guests

I think it should be pointed out that apparently it is not recommended you run any sythetic oil before the car's internals have bedded in.

Cheers

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 10d
I think it should be pointed out that apparently it is not recommended you run any sythetic oil before the car's internals have bedded in.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did I not just point that out in the above thread? :smilielol:

Guest FatBAt
  • Guests

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did I not just point that out in the above thread? :smilielol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry...should have read the whole thread :hrmm: