Bonnet Release **merged Topic**

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 27d
Same thing happened to me on wednesday. Had the car in for a couple of warranty issues get the car home pop the hood and the whole bonnet release assemply fell of the dash, looks like the apprentice tried to bodge it up. Need a new cable, release handle and fuse box surround now!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same thing happened to me, but they have to replace the entire fuse box, not just the surround. Which isnt a 2 minute exercise, I can assure you!

• Good for nothing member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 9m 4d
Same thing happened to me on wednesday. Had the car in for a couple of warranty issues get the car home pop the hood and the whole bonnet release assemply fell of the dash, looks like the apprentice tried to bodge it up. Need a new cable, release handle and fuse box surround now!

Same thing happened to me, but they have to replace the entire fuse box, not just the surround. Which isnt a 2 minute exercise, I can assure you!

thanx for the tip :hrmm: wont be hangin around for that one

• Mushroom
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 10m 14d
I went to the dealer today to get them to replace my bonnet release... the handle bit doesnt hold on to the end of the cable properly cos it's made of plastic and the cable is metal... so that was a bad idea to start with.

Turns out to replace the handle they need to replace the whole cable :spoton: so I couldnt wait... the guy told me that if I need to get into the engine bay, just to pull on the whole lever assembly and it will pull the cable releasing the bonnet. It unclips from the dash by simply sliding it forwards (towards the bonnet) and it drops down.

Just for those who have the same issues and havent had time to get to the dealer :crybaby:

I've had this happen a few times now (generally when someone tries to pull the bonnet when it's already released - happened at 2 dyno days - and by me twice also....doh!!)

You can remove the bonnet release from the fuse box (just clips off), then pull the plastic pin from the lever, then you are able to put the cable in again. Put it all back together and Bob's your uncle.

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 26d

Looks like a common problem.

My MKII is around 9 months from purchase and on Tuesday the plastic clip you pull down just shattered.

Tried to book in for a quick warranty repair and got the "2 hours and whole new cable assembly" story.

Pissweak design and construction.

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 17y 4m 19d

Hey Guys,

Just took a mate from work for a quick drive in my ute. Went to pop the bonnet and the release under the dash poped out and wont work. Didnt have time to play with it as I had to get back to work.

Has this happened to anyone? Is there a quick fix?. It is still under warranty so I can take it back to the dealer if it is a major problem.

Thanks

• Member For: 18y 9m 9d

mine broke :spoton: it just hangs loose, but I can still open the bonnet. I just clipped it back up and under and it holds there. Couldn't be f*cked getting it fixed, it got broken when the smash repair place were doing repairs :spoton:

but they had my car long enough, I couldn't bare to hand it back over :spoton:

• Xtreme Xalted Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 23d

Its probably just come loose from its locator slot under the dash.

They can easily be dislodged by an accidental kick. (Specially if ya got big feet)

With a bit of luck and dexterity you should be able to push it all back in.

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 5d

The cable has a metal bar at the end of it, which slots into the plastic of the handle part that you pull down. Over time this plastic gets weak and can get weak enough to be pretty well useless and the metal bar just pops out. To get the handle and cable assembly out there is a clip behind the dash which retains the whole lot, just push this up and slide the handle out. You can then open the bonnet by just grabbing the handle and cable and pulling hard. Unfortunately it's a replacement job to get it working as normal again (yes the whole cable and handle assembly is one part number from ford!) Covered under warranty though.