Progress Update: How Is BCL's Car Going?

PASHEN

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 3d

Hi guys,

Brian's awesome car is nearing completion. :blink:

No doubt it will create a massive amount of discussion and I'm sure we will all be looking forward to reading Brian's thoughts (I know I am) on it once he gets it back up home and has the chance to put it through it's paces.

So to make this thread easy for everyone to find I've pinned it in the Modifications & Workshop forum... Enjoy!

Cheers,

Adam. :spoton:

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 5d
Brian's awesome car is nearing completion. :spoton:

Adam. :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Adam, but sometimes I wonder when it will really be fully completed, as there’s always a future change on the horizon.

It's more of an exercise in finding out which Ford T part we can break next, and then can we break the aftermarket part, as mechanically a majority of car parts are replaced.

All mechanical parts (for now) are now in place.

3 weeks ago I was in Melbourne, and the main problem was getting the Motec to control the idle properly, to a state where we could say "that's pretty good". I watched someone from Motec tune idle control for over half an hour, the result being better, but still not good enough.

Decent idle quality with the Motec V2 software has been a challenge, to say the least

I have seen, real-time, with Simon's pc, the points on the mapping tables that the Motec software oscillates through to get back to a steady idle position. It is neither simple nor straightforward. I now have a much better appreciation of why Ford had so many stalling problems from factory software, and reported cold idling problems

The Ford VCT makes the whole process much more complex, rather than the modified cams and injectors being used.

Simon then went down the path of trying Motec+Edit, with Edit controlling the DBW.

Testing cold start, means basically a 10-15 minutes test each day, so the result is that it can take days/weeks of minor changes to get it better.

After 2 weeks of trialing Simon concluded that the Edit has not made it better, so we’ve gone back to just the Motec.

I have great admiration for Simon’s patience and willingness to invest time and effort into R&D. As you know Nizpro takes on some challenging projects, and this has certainly been a huge challenge.

Even now I’m looking forward moving to Edit, and within 3-4 months expect to dump the Motec, and run with Edit completely. There are some limitations with the current Edit with regard to it meeting my requirements, and we trust that the independent inlet/exhaust cam control required for the BF to properly run, plus MAP sensor and other tables changes, plus handling the big injectors can be made by SCT to accommodate. By comparison, Simon has now put a 6-speed manual in his work Ute, which is running the Stage 4 Nizpro hardware (including bigger cams and turbo), for around 450rwkw …. fully run with Edit …. starting and idle control is fantastic by comparison, as he demonstrated to me.

The challenge is now put to SCT to make the changes, as Simon is keen to implement.

The benefits of this R&D will filter back to other forum members over time.

What I have not previously divulged, is that the internals of this motor should support up around 1300HP, not the current 1000HP that the car has been set up to run. The rods/pistons being used now are far stronger (and far more expensive than typically used aftermarket), and far stronger than what Simon used in his demo engine that he ran at 1268HP on his engine dyno. ATM there’s no use going over 1000HP, as too many other things are breaking, but the point is that the engine has 30% higher output capability.

Another upgrade to the CV is also planned for February, as after a review of the upgraded CV currently installed. We don’t believe that what’s currently installed will hold full torque for too long.

A change to a 6-speed auto will also be on the agenda, but obviously that may take a while before a strong enough auto is built by someone.

So, as you can see, this project will run for a while yet.

Brian

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 21d

I don't think he drives it Ian, I believe he flaps behind it somehow j-u-s-t holding on by fingertips!!!! :)

Damn you Brian, I want one.......... My F6 is going off the road in a couple of weeks for some tinkering as it is becoming my weekend car - I hope I don't get infected like you!