Brake Noise

lee13k

• Member For: 19y 6m 13d

Hello anyone who is interested!!

I've had a BA xr6t since september '04, after about 1200km's while driving thru a carpark I noticed a grinding/rubbing noise coming from what seemed liked the brakes. At this stage it was intermetent so I didn't think much of it. Now at 9000km's the noise is more noticable, usually when driving between 20-40 km/h (wind noise may have something to do with not hearing it at higher speeds). It seems to be louder once the brakes get hotter. I noticed a xr6 driving past me and it had the same noise coming from it's car.

Has anyone had the same experience with this problem and if so, what causes it and how can it be fixed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies if this issue has been addressed in another forum.

Regards

• Member For: 20y 5m 6d

Sounds like you have the standard Ford handbrake drag.

Drop into your dealer and get them to back off the handbrake a little and all will be sweet. :blush:

• FPV521
  • Member For: 19y 7m 13d
Hello anyone who is interested!!

I've had a BA xr6t since september '04, after about 1200km's while driving thru a carpark I noticed a grinding/rubbing noise coming from what seemed liked the brakes. At this stage it was intermetent so I didn't think much of it. Now at 9000km's the noise is more noticable, usually when driving between 20-40 km/h (wind noise may have something to do with not hearing it at higher speeds). It seems to be louder once the brakes get hotter. I noticed a xr6 driving past me and it had the same noise coming from it's car.

Has anyone had the same experience with this problem and if so, what causes it and how can it be fixed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies if this issue has been addressed in another forum.

Regards

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have a look at my thread on squeeks and rattles and theres a pretty good expalantion about that there. Youre right its a real pain in the :stupid:

Ive taken my car back 4 times (Has 20,000 km on it) now and took it back again today. My dealers great but they can seem to get the brakes to shut up. :nono:

• Member For: 19y 6m 13d

I was sure I wasn't the only one ot there. I didn't realise that there was a standard drag applied to the hand brake.

After hearing these few experiences hopefully they can nut mine out first time.

I tell you what though, it does get embaressing when cruising and all you can hear is this constant rubbing noise.

Thanks everyone for the advice, at least now I can go to my friendly ford dealer armed with a little knowledge.

cheers :stupid:

• FPV521
  • Member For: 19y 7m 13d
I was sure I wasn't the only one ot there. I didn't realise that there was a standard drag applied to the hand brake.

After hearing these few experiences hopefully they can nut mine out first time.

I tell you what though, it does get embaressing when cruising and all you can hear is this constant rubbing noise.

Thanks everyone for the advice, at least now I can go to my friendly ford dealer armed with a little knowledge.

cheers :gooff:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure is embarassing :ermm:

• Member For: 20y 5m 6d

It is my understanding that the handbrake shoes are prone to warping.

It was sugested to me that if the handbrake is applied when the brakes are very hot they will most likely warp. :spoton: