Typhoon Review After 1500km

QikSmurf

• Member For: 20y 9m 8d

This is my assesment of the Typhoon after 1500km behind the wheel. I know a lot has been said about this car and a lot of the criticism is justified. Most, however, is not.

In terms of straight line acceleration, the F6 is not a drag car by any means. I feel that it is definitely quicker than the XR6T I had for 2 years, in spite of the various magazine times that have been published. The real story behind this car is not the 0-100km/h or 400m times. The power delivery is really noticable between 2000 and 4500rpm. IMHO this is where most people have their engine speed at any given time. What I'm saying is that as a daily driven car this is where most of the enjoyment is had. As a race car/ drag car this may not please a lot of people. I let my friend drive it and my impression from the passanger seat was, "is that it?". He took it to the point of having the beeping sound alert a gear change would be a good idea and the feeling of power across the entire rev range is a bit disappointing. It feels very strong to about 4500 then just kind of "maintains" until you change gears.

For all that this car suits my driving to a T (no pun intended). I still get out of the car smiling and that is all that matters. I have had no issues yet (touch wood). I can honestly say that I understand how some people would be disapponted with this car. For me, I still maintain that it looks, drives, performs better than I could have dreamed.

What really amazes me is the general ignorance of most people. When you spend time in this forum you assume everyone out there (the general public) has the same understanding of this vehicle. Most of my friends and family ask me questions like, " is it a V8?' , " who makes it?". Even friends of mine that I would have thought were motoring enthusiasts ask me questions like" is it a V6?". My all time favourite was when I was filling up last night and a guy wandered over and said "nice car". I was feeling proud until he said "F6. Is that better than a V6?".

I guess what I'm saying is that the majority of people are not aware of the Typhoon let alone the positive/negative feedback that its had. From an outsider it just looks like a great car. From a daily driver/owners perspective, I just love it :ermm:

I sometimes wonder, as I pass a radar trap or speed camera, what I would do with a APS enhancement. In QLD if you get done doing over 40km/k over the speed limit its goodbye license and $700 fine. With that in mind it often wonder what all the fuss is about when people claim this car should go faster. I'm not suggesting we drive Camrys but surely the F6 is one of the fastest cars in the world. I think the problem is the FPV hype. If you promise something as a manufacturer, peiople will bag you if you don't deliver. To 99.9% of Australians this car is a weapon. To the remaining 0.1% it doesn't deliver enough. I just happen to fall into the first category :glad:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lemming No #5
  • Member For: 19y 4m 28d
This is my assesment of the Typhoon after 1500km behind the wheel. I know a lot has been said about this car and a lot of the criticism is justified. Most, however, is not.

In terms of straight line acceleration, the F6 is not a drag car by any means. I feel that it is definitely quicker than the XR6T I had for 2 years, in spite of the various magazine times that have been published. The real story behind this car is not the 0-100km/h or 400m times. The power delivery is really noticable between 2000 and 4500rpm. IMHO this is where most people have their engine speed at any given time. What I'm saying is that as a daily driven car this is where most of the enjoyment is had. As a race car/ drag car this may not please a lot of people. I let my friend drive it and my impression from the passanger seat was, "is that it?". He took it to the point of having the beeping sound alert a gear change would be a good idea and the feeling of power across the entire rev range is a bit disappointing. It feels very strong to about 4500 then just kind of "maintains" until you change gears.

For all that this car suits my driving to a T (no pun intended). I still get out of the car smiling and that is all that matters. I have had no issues yet (touch wood). I can honestly say that I understand how some people would be disapponted with this car. For me, I still maintain that it looks, drives, performs better than I could have dreamed.

What really amazes me is the general ignorance of most people. When you spend time in this forum you assume everyone out there (the general public) has the same understanding of this vehicle. Most of my friends and family ask me questions like, " is it a V8?' , " who makes it?". Even friends of mine that I would have thought were motoring enthusiasts ask me questions like" is it a V6?". My all time favourite was when I was filling up last night and a guy wandered over and said "nice car". I was feeling proud until he said "F6. Is that better than a V6?".

I guess what I'm saying is that the majority of people are not aware of the Typhoon let alone the positive/negative feedback that its had. From an outsider it just looks like a great car. From a daily driver/owners perspective, I just love it :glad:

I sometimes wonder, as I pass a radar trap or speed camera, what I would do with a APS enhancement. In QLD if you get done doing over 40km/k over the speed limit its goodbye license and $700 fine. With that in mind it often wonder what all the fuss is about when people claim this car should go faster. I'm not suggesting we drive Camrys but surely the F6 is one of the fastest cars in the world. I think the problem is the FPV hype. If you promise something as a manufacturer, peiople will bag you if you don't deliver. To 99.9% of Australians this car is a weapon. To the remaining 0.1% it doesn't deliver enough. I just happen to fall into the first category :ermm:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well said, as long as you are happy with your car that is the only thing that matters. congrats :ermm:

• FG Falcon fan!
  • Member For: 20y 9m 14d

From what I see the F6 is like any other FPV or HSV: it looks good, has lots of bels n whistles, has the premium gear everywhere. The only reason the F6 gets some bad press is coz ppl were expecting quicker times. Id like to see what quarter mile one could do once it was fully run-in. Perhaps its got a 13.9 in it.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 22d

I sometimes wonder, as I pass a radar trap or speed camera, what I would do with a APS enhancement. In QLD if you get done doing over 40km/k over the speed limit its goodbye license and $700 fine. With that in mind it often wonder what all the fuss is about when people claim this car should go faster. I'm not suggesting we drive Camrys but surely the F6 is one of the fastest cars in the world. I think the problem is the FPV hype. If you promise something as a manufacturer, peiople will bag you if you don't deliver. To 99.9% of Australians this car is a weapon. To the remaining 0.1% it doesn't deliver enough. I just happen to fall into the first category :glad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the F6 is one of the fastest cars in the world then I'm gonna get me a diesel Citreon :ermm:

Hypnodoc,

I know you have some issues with your F6. In time mine may develop some warranty issues as well. I sincerely hope you find some happiness in life regardless of which car you drive. I feel your attitude towards this vehicle is making you very angry which is affecting the enjoyment level of this forum.

I am not suggesting we only post all the wonderful things about the F6 and not discuss its' problems, but the sarcasm and contempt you have for the car is bordoring on obsessive. I know you have dished out your hard earned for this car and it clearly doesn't meet you expectations.

Believe me though when I tell you you don't speak for the majority of F6 owners :spoton:

• TRAITOR
  • Member For: 21y 6m 1d
Hypnodoc,

I know you have some issues with your F6. In time mine may develop some warranty issues as well. I sincerely hope you find some happiness in life regardless of which car you drive. I feel your attitude towards this vehicle is making you very angry which is affecting the enjoyment level of this forum.

I am not suggesting we only post all the wonderful things about the F6 and not discuss its' problems, but the sarcasm and contempt you have for the car is bordoring on obsessive. I know you have dished out your hard earned for this car and it clearly doesn't meet you expectations.

Believe me though when I tell you you don't speak for the majority of F6 owners :spoton:

Sarcasm and contempt? Doc's comment was spot on.

If you think your Typhoon is one of the fastest cars in the world, I suggest you go out and test drive some other sports cars available.

Maybe a VYII Clubby would be a good choice for starters? :ermm:

Believe what you want, if it makes you feel better in what you got for your hard earned, so be it.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 24d

I think he has a right to be pissed at ford with all the bad things that have happened to his car. The fact is Doc isn't happy with his car. I dont see it affecting the enjoyment level of the forum at all. In fact his opinion, like yours, adds to it.

You like you car and that's great. Just don't expect everyone else to like the typhoon, especially those that have spent 60K of their hard earned money and have recieved a fault ridden vehicle. Having said that, production line vehicles are bound to have issues with build quality. Aside from that, I think the general concensus from mags is that the car is not as fast as it should be. If you think Doc has been harsh just read the latest Motor mag. The Phoon gets raped by the mag...

In regards to modifying the car - modifications ehance the performance of a car and therefore its enjoyment. There are places and times to use this power and it isn't in speed guarded or monitored zones. Your comments seem a tad silly because if you're worried about getting fines then perhaps its best to either

a) learn to respect road rules, or

b) by a diesel powered Citreon that would have trouble exceeding the posted limits.

Personally I feel that speed is probably responsible for 1% of road accidents. The other 95% of the time its the idiot driving the car.

The opinons on the phoon are from many sources, both on and off this forum. Whether you like them or not is up to you.

Geeseman,

You are dead set correct in everrything you say. Enjoy your drive :w00t2:

Keep reading those Magazines.

However, make sure you read the right edition because the December edition of Motor headed the cover with "FPV's cranked turbo six is the new king of Aissie muscle cars".

The same magazine did a write up between the DJR320 vs HSV GTS and it couldn't crack 14 sec 1/4 mile times for either car.

Anyway, read your magazines and sleep comfortably knowing you car (whatever it is you drive) is better than mine :ermm::ermm:

It must be.......the magazine said so :lol:

BTW I believe 95 plus 1 equals 96? But I guess the magazines told you that too?

Clearly this car is not for you either my man. As I said before, I am glad to be satisfied with the performance of the car I have. You have obviously chosen to mod yours. I have no doubt yours is faster than mine. I doubt whether you are as satisfied though or else why would you criticise another mans vehicle. Either you have a little dick syndrome or you are just cheesed off you car looks a little girlie :ermm:

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 26d

QikSmurf, go you good thing!!!

You know what they say – different strokes for different blokes – and I could guarantee you that I would rather stroke a Typhoon over a T any day. It’s all well and good for every man and his dog to get on the old “it’s cheaper to whack a phase whatever on a T” bandwagon, but not everyone buys a vehicle to modify the arse off it.

My T will most likely stay pretty much standard until the day that I sell it, does that make me a lesser person? (I’m pretty damn low as it is some would say in any case) The next time I’m in the market for a new ute I will be looking seriously at the Tornado just so that I can bear the brunt of everyone bagging it and ridiculing my decision, but as long as I’m happy that will be all that matters.

But anyway, surely all the negative comments on the Typhoon could be posted in one of the 84 other threads that are running at the moment – let’s see a good news story for a change you bunch of spoilsports, which I’m sure was Qiksmurf’s original intentions.

Trent.