Lower Temp Thermostat In Turbo

Eugene

• Member For: 19y 7m 3d

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has tried using different temp thermostats in the turbo, I read a short thread over at the FF ( link to thread http://www.*notallowed*.com/showthread.php?t=94623 ) where someone changed a thermostat in a typhoon and noticed more mid range power, (no dyno sheet).

It makes sence to me that a car that runs better on cool nights, early mornings etc, would not mind having a lower operating temp, now I konw you cant go too low or the engine will suffer premature wear etc,

On the other thread, the temp neddle was running arounf 1/4 and not just under half, they used a thermostat intended for the Boss XR8 ( I dont have any more details).

Have APS done anything along these lines, and if so could you share the results.

my car runs about 3mm below half on the neddle and does smell hot after a normal run, but after a spirited drive it stinks like a bas*ard.

Any thoughts or ideas on this.

• Member For: 19y 10m 23d
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has tried using different temp thermostats in the turbo, I read a short thread over at the FF ( link to thread http://www.*notallowed*.com/showthread.php?t=94623 ) where someone changed a thermostat in a typhoon and noticed more mid range power, (no dyno sheet).

It makes sence to me that a car that runs better on cool nights, early mornings etc, would not mind having a lower operating temp, now I konw you cant go too low or the engine will suffer premature wear etc,

On the other thread, the temp neddle was running arounf 1/4 and not just under half, they used a thermostat intended for the Boss XR8 ( I dont have any more details).

Have APS done anything along these lines, and if so could you share the results.

my car runs about 3mm below half on the neddle and does smell hot after a normal run, but after a spirited drive it stinks like a bas*ard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've only got one word to say Kim (Chris) :lol:

"Shakers" :thumbsup:

macka

• In Your Face
  • Member For: 21y 1m 10d
Hi all,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've only got one word to say Kim (Chris) :lol:

"Shakers" :thumbsup:

macka

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeh Babyy :glad::glad:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 23d

You'll find this is because of the lower intake temps rater than air temps. Lower intake temps means lower pressure means more power for the engine.

You'll find this is because of the lower intake temps rater than air temps. Lower intake temps means lower pressure means more power for the engine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

geeseman darling you confuse even me? dont take my job its upto me to confuse the readers/members!!! :nono::nono:

now to set this straight:

lower air temps give more oxygen per litre meaning better burning capacity = more vroom yeah!!!

• Member For: 19y 7m 3d

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

geeseman darling you confuse even me? dont take my job its upto me to confuse the readers/members!!! :spoton::msm:

lower air temps give more oxygen per litre meaning better burning capacity = more vroom yeah!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I Know what Geesman was trying to say, and what nick said, that is why intercoolers, watersprays, water injection etc all help, but if the air was going into a cooler engine, by say 10deg c, there would be less heat soak, fuel would have to be cooler, less chance for pre-ignition, etc etc. Just a thought.

• In Your Face
  • Member For: 21y 1m 10d

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

geeseman darling you confuse even me? dont take my job its upto me to confuse the readers/members!!! :msm::spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your right ......leave it to you......confusious says :msm:

• Forum Superhero
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 23d

geeseman darling you confuse even me? dont take my job its upto me to confuse the readers/members!!! :spoton::pinch:

I Know what Geesman was trying to say, and what nick said, that is why intercoolers, watersprays, water injection etc all help, but if the air was going into a cooler engine, by say 10deg c, there would be less heat soak, fuel would have to be cooler, less chance for pre-ignition, etc etc. Just a thought.

Understand what you are saying Eugene, and am also interested in people in the knows thoughts, to me it makes sense? :pinch:

Anyone?

• Used to work at the Ford Proving Ground!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 23d

Running the cooling system with a lower temp thermostat, will not change the intake temp one bit! Intake temp is dictated by the ambient temp of the air in front of the car, and by any cooling of the intercooler. Radiator temp has nothing to do with this. Those who think it will need to bow there heads in shame ;-) Running a cooler thermostat will result in increased fuel consumption, and black exhaust smoke, if you go to far. The factory spends ages calibrating thngs like this and you know better? hhhmmm! I think not! As for thermostat temp giving more power anywhere in the rev range :crybaby: