World Of Warcraft

KrasH

• Bloody Orange Team (BOT)
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 28d

I'm sure that it would be playable on dialup. I practically play WoW all day (on holidays etc) and looking on my adsl accounts bandwidth usage, it only uses around 20-25MB of bandwidth for that whole day. Dialup at full ball, 28.8k min, which I had for so many years, would do that in a couple hours. So I would assume that the only real difference between broadband and dialup for this game would just be the actual ping times. I get 200ms-450ms pings on average to the server I am on (on the US west coast). Ping times on dialup would be more obviously. It should be playable on dialup. The only lag I experience is in the bigger cities, especially ironforge. But this is mainly due to computer hardware and the loading of all the different character etc attributes, like what they look like, what armour etc they have.

Upto level 25 now :) another 9,000 experience points for level 26. Still having fun and today while in Darkshire, came across Stitch, the massive megademon. I was just doing my usual quest stuff, then the "town leader" yells, "It is coming, gather in the town center". I go there and there are about 20+ players there aswell. Then someone says that stitch is just out of town. We all go and kick some ass.. This monster was fricken huge.. I had the pleasure Of getting hit once by him and my health bar dropped by half.. hehe. We still got him though :) Sure was fun.

Also the other day, I was just doing some running, just to see how big this world actually is (still can't believe how big it is) and I come across this human town, close to the undead territory. Then I see 2 taurens (actualy players and the enemy) with level 30, 33. They are PvP disabled though. Then this lvl 35 gnome (another player, but on the same side as me) asks me if I am willing to be the bait. I say sure.. then I start doing some of the kewl emote actions that you have in WoW. I do a chicken to them, act rude to them, dance infront of them.. The gnome player tells me that the day before he got the same 2 taurens, but they may know he's around. Well after a bit they decide to enable PvP and attack me.. I held them off just enough for the gnome to finish them.. sure was funny. Then they resurect themselves and bring along another friend.. Their friend got bored, and decied to leave. Then they both try to get the gnome, but he kills them easily.. funny stuff :) These taurens won't go much further though. They were killing the town folk with levels way below theirs. In this game if you kill the enemy race characters that are way below your level, you get dishonor points. The more dishoner points you get, the less quests you get offered. You also have equipment etc vendors that won't sell to you if your dishonor points are to high.

Anyways, I am cutting down on my play time.. honest.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member For: 21y 1m 24d

Krash - I'm not a great expert on computers and stuff so can someone please tell me what ping is? I think I might have to go and buy one of these games fairly shortly, I have 2 more games to finish on xbox and ps2 then I will be onto either WOW or EQ2, a mate of mine has eq2 and recons its just the ducks nuts, so I might go around to his place and have a test run of that one.

Dazza.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 25d

To ping in layman’s terms is just a measure of time that it takes for information to go from your computer to the destination server and back again. If you have slow (I.e. high) ping times then you will find yourself sitting and waiting for quite a while for things to happen.

Although you may have a decent connection to your ISP if they don’t have a decent connection (especially during peak periods) to the outside world then your gaming experience will suffer. I’m not sure what it’s like in Toowoomba, but I know in a few other regional areas this can be a bit of a problem.

Your best bet would be to find someone locally that is already using these type of games or similar and see what they use and get some feedback on latency etc.

Good luck!

Trent.

To ping in layman’s terms is just a measure of time that it takes for information to go from your computer to the destination server and back again.  If you have slow (I.e. high) ping times then you will find yourself sitting and waiting for quite a while for things to happen.

Although you may have a decent connection to your ISP if they don’t have a decent connection (especially during peak periods) to the outside world then your gaming experience will suffer.  I’m not sure what it’s like in Toowoomba, but I know in a few other regional areas this can be a bit of a problem.

Your best bet would be to find someone locally that is already using these type of games or similar and see what they use and get some feedback on latency etc.

Good luck!

Trent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah a friend at work is playing everquest 2 on dsl, and says he is having no problems, although my ISP is bigpond so I am probably f*cked already :spoton:

Dazza.

• Member For: 20y 10m 7d

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah a friend at work is playing everquest 2 on dsl, and says he is having no problems, although my ISP is bigpond so I am probably f*cked already :nono:

Dazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I played EQ1 in toowoomba on 28k dial up ( I lived on at cabarlah at my phone line went through the base switch so that is all I could get.) and when I logged on I had no problem.. occasionally it would get laggy in some of the more populated areas of the game but not really all that often.

Im now playing EQ2 in wagga and did play Starwars galaxies for a while.. all on anything from a 33k connection to a 45k connection on dial up and the only time I have a problem is when I go into a city and there is a lot of people around.. but then again I can just go into options and set the game for maximum performance or maximum quality... that does help quite a lot..

If you are keen to play then do it I say.. dial up is fine with it.. and the only problem you will have is downloading the patches.. but if you have a friend with it already just install it when you buy it and get him to burn is game directory to a disc and then copy all those files to your directory...that's what I do with my 2 pcs.. that way I dont have to download it twice..

If you do decide to play eq2 look me up ..ill help ya how I can..

My characters are

Magicus 19 Gnome Enchanter (soon to be Coercer)

Allbraun 14 Ogre Brawler (eventually to be a Bruiser)

Arquebus 11 Barbarian Bard (soon to be deleted)

Sehat 8 Barbarian Priest (soon to be a cleric)

All on highkeep server.. all aligned with freeport except Sehat

Pedro

Just had an idea for ya.. you could always get your mate to install his game on your PC and then log on from your house just to see what it is like.. whether it is playable or not... But im sure that if you bought it you would be pleasantly surprised..

Edited by pedro

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah a friend at work is playing everquest 2 on dsl, and says he is having no problems, although my ISP is bigpond so I am probably f*cked already :nono:

Dazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just had an idea for ya.. you could always get your mate to install his game on your PC and then log on from your house just to see what it is like.. whether it is playable or not... But im sure that if you bought it you would be pleasantly surprised..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I was talking to him today and we are going to install it at my place and he will let me use his account for a week or so, he is currently playing city of heros or something and isnt playing EQ2 at the moment. I do like that genre of game, just not wanting to spend all the bucks on something that isnt playable, so a test is in order. :nono:

Dazza.

If you log on mate.. im on the highkeep server .. look me up.. also I really only play evil characters so if you would like some help it would be better to make an evil one..

Just look up anyone in the guild "DA SKURGE" (they will have the guild name after thiers) and ask em if I am on.. they will help ya out

Pedro

If you log on mate.. im on the highkeep server .. look me up.. also I really only play evil characters so if you would like some help it would be better to make an evil one..

Just look up anyone in the guild "DA SKURGE" (they will have the guild name after thiers) and ask em if I am on.. they will help ya out

Pedro

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok pedro, I have borrowed his game and account, and I will try look you up.

Dazza.

HEHE.. might be a bit late to look me up..

I got home from work the other day and SWMBO had bought 2 copies of WoW for us.. so I have been playing that lately....not a lot.. only got a 4 pally and a 4 warlock

Im just trying it out to see whether I prefer it to eq2 or not.. so far I do but how much can I tell in 4 levels.

Im on the proudmore server

Magicus - Lvl 4 Orc warlock

Tinidas - Lvl 1 Tauren shaman

Arquebus - Lvl 5 Pally

I am actually having trouble with WoW on my pc.. I am running

2.8 Ghz,

1Gb RAM

Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg vid card

and for some reason the vid card Sihts itself

However on the other pc

2.8 Ghz

512 RAM

Radeon 9200 Pro 128 meg

I have no probs whatsoever..

and that is on dial-up with the internet shared between.. lag occasionally but not too often. Anyone got any ideas. I have tried new drivers for my vid card already and that does no good... has got me beat.. even unistalled and reinstalled game and did no good.

Pedro