Running In

Mondie

How did you run in your car? Are you having trouble?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 27d

For all of you guys who hav only recently taken delivery of your XR6T, and maybe like me, are a little dissapointed at the pre-boost performance down low, I HAVE GOT GOOD NEWS :thumbsup:

Mine has done 5500 k's now, and the change in willingness off the line is amazing!. Now it feels smooth and willing, hardly requiring any throttle input before sprinting off.

I changed the oil to Castrol fully synthetic at 4500 k's, and that had a positive impact, feels like the engine has far less friction, and low torque appears to be improved.

Fuel economy is also improving as the k's increase, I am now getting almost 500 k's to a tank (mixed city and highway 50/50), which is 13.5 l/100 km.

It looks as if this is now improving almost by each tank full :sick:

If you are patient, and run her in properly, SHE WILL REWARD YOU!!! :P

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d

ninka> That is good news - are you using Castrol R 5W-50? It would be my first choice too. Methinks you are still putting the boot into it a bit though with that economy - I reckon you'll get it down to overall averages of about low 12s. Now if we can just get the SS400m down to the same ... heheheh.

• Donating Members
ninka> That is good news - are you using Castrol R 5W-50? It would be my first choice too. Methinks you are still putting the boot into it a bit though with that economy - I reckon you'll get it down to overall averages of about low 12s. Now if we can just get the SS400m down to the same ... heheheh.

I used Castrol Formula R 10W60 Fully Synthetic :o

• I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :)
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 15d

LOL,

Even for us Queenslanders that's about right. $1.00 per litre??? :D 94-96c for standard unleaded.....ouch.

:P

• Member For: 21y 3m 26d
Fuel economy is also improving as the k's increase, I am now getting almost 500 k's to a tank (mixed city and highway 50/50), which is 13.5 l/100 km.

It looks as if this is now improving almost by each tank full :thumbsup:

If you are patient, and run her in properly, SHE WILL REWARD YOU!!! :P

I've now done 2600k and fuel consumption is a concern. to date I have averaged 15.5l/100km. I have at least one extended drive each tank to my mum's north of perth which brings the average down. if I just run around town I'm struggling to average less than 17.0l/100km - and that's trying to drive with light throttle openings and moderate acceleration. maybe I'm being a bit unfair because the drive to work is only 10km in heavy traffic with little chance to cruise.

ninka, it looks as though things should improve over the next 2,000km's.

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

Scott,

Its suprising just how poor the economy of your car is. Even if it loosens up its not going to improve to where its comparable to what others here get out of their cars. l wonder if something is wrong with your engine, a dodgy sensor or something else that is leading to incorrect mixtures and so unusaually high consumption. :thumbsup:

Our car has only done just over 3000km and has no problem averaging 12.5lt/100 with a 60/40 town/country driving, and mainly on ULP too.

l think l would take it to my local dealer and have them check the engine over if l were you.

• Member For: 21y 4m 18d

That is really high Scott. Is it really hot over there and your air con is running flat chat ?? Does your Auto feel like it is in the right gear ?? Also ... Are you running PULP ??

• Donating Members
That is really high Scott. Is it really hot over there and your air con is running flat chat ?? Does your Auto feel like it is in the right gear ?? Also ... Are you running PULP ??

I can answer that one! - Yes it has been quite hot here for some time now, and the aircon. is on at most times.

With regards to ULP versus PULP, then I run on both types (depending on availibility) and there does not appear to be any impact on economy!.

In fact, as I have stated in another thread, the car runs very well on ULP.

Speaking to Ford, there should only be a small impact in the top end performance, and the main reason for using PULP should be the better additives, keeping the injectors, valves and compustion chamber clean.