Speaker Wire Colours

Cashie

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8d

One will be different, either by colour or will have a marking like a line on it. That will be the positive. If it is a new install, it doesnt matter, as long as the same colored/marked cable goes to the same terminal at each end. Otherwise, your speakers will be out of phase (one would push, one would pull) and it would sound terrible.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 2d

I think I worked it out, each side has one wire with a black trace, I assumed this was the negative.

I read on ff that it was the positive but I am fairly certain it is not, I just wanted confirmation.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

Sometimes the stripe is negative speaker terminal and other times it is for the positive - there is NO standard unfortunately. As long as it's a 'floating earth' system (as most four-speaker systems are these days) it won't matter just as long as you are consistent in the way you connect them all up.

And sometimes, with regard to what Luke has said, if the speakers are facing directly towards each other from opposite sides then you may get better sound by wiring them out of phase - so they don't both push at the same time, which can sound very bad.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

XR8 Ute,

If you need info on what wires are what send a PM to eXtreme as he owns the BA manual and has helped me out considerably by emailing the info I need.

Brett.

• 14 years later...
  • Member For: 4y 10m 2d

I got an xr8 manual and I can’t find the speaker wires

On 19/11/2004 at 5:23 PM, bjc said:

XR8 Ute,

If you need info on what wires are what send a PM to eXtreme as he owns the BA manual and has helped me out considerably by emailing the info I need.

Brett.