Tyre Pressuress

Frankg

• Member For: 20y 9m 4d

Just thought I would pass this by everyone and see what responses I got...

I recently had a puncture and had to replace one of my dunlops.... After talking to the guy at Bob Jane's he told me all my tyre pressures were very low...31psi...

He said that the recommended pressure is acutlly 38psi and any lower than that and I would get bad tyre ware..... I think hes right as well becsause after inspecting the tyres they are worn more on the edges than the rest....

Is this a trick the car dealers play to make you come back for tyres more often...???? I bet....

On the inside of the car door it also says 31psi.... maybe fords have shares in dunlop or something....

BTY... after increasing tyre pressures my car seems to handle just as wel if not better and is a bit lighter on the steering...

My tyres are the standard dunlops on the 17" rims... SP3000 ...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 20y 8m 19d

I've got 18's and I run 41psi in the front and about 38 in the rear. I run higher in the front to try and stop the edges of the tyres wearing out due to roundabouts and brisk driving at times. If I had 17's I think I'd run about 39 front a nd about 37 rear.

• Member For: 20y 1m 13d
Just thought I would pass this by everyone and see what responses I got...

I recently had a puncture and had to replace one of my dunlops.... After talking to the guy at Bob Jane's he told me all my tyre pressures were very low...31psi...

He said that the recommended pressure is acutlly 38psi and any lower than that and I would get bad tyre ware..... I think hes right as well becsause after inspecting the tyres they are worn more on the edges than the rest....

Is this a trick the car dealers play to make you come back for tyres more often...???? I bet....

On the inside of the car door it also says 31psi.... maybe fords have shares in dunlop or something....

BTY... after increasing tyre pressures my car seems to handle just as wel if not better and is a bit lighter on the steering...

My tyres are the standard dunlops on the 17" rims... SP3000 ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the same advice given to me by the FORD guy who did my 3000k checkup.

Like you, I find the steering a bit lighter and handling is fine, so I will keep them at 38 I think.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 16d

Dunlop SP 3000's, 17's & 40psi all round (Nitrogen) I have been monitoring tread wear in conjunction with my tyre people which involves rotation every 5,000km. We take 5 readings on tread depth across the face of the tyre and to date have maintained a difference in depth of 0.4mm to 0.7mm overall. Last reading was done at 24,636 kms with an average of 5mm depth remaining. Calculating the wear rate over 7,382kms between last rotate shows wear at around 1mm per 5,000km. Based on remaining tread depth we expect to get 40,000km plus from these tyres mearsured at the wear bar indicators. Cheers :spoton:

• Member For: 20y 5m 13d

I had been running cold pressures of 41 psi front and 39 psi in the rear but with the hotter weather the hot pressures went up to 47 front and 45 rear too much wheel spin with 45 in the rear so I have dropped it down 2 psi all round. :spoton: