Where does your temperature gauge sit?

exar

• Member For: 20y 1m 8d

The reason I ask is that today, after a long drive about 100km at 100 to 110km/hr, I struck lots of traffic, slow crawl at 40k in parts for about half an hour. I happened to stop, for a few minutes, and when I tried to restart, it didn't want to go. On the third try, AFTER tickling the throttle a little bit, it fired up (it normally starts first go with no throttle), and I noticed the temp gauge was sitting on halfway - which is the highest I have seen it. Normally it cruises along at about 1/3.

The car is an XR6T auto, and stock standard with only 3000k on it. Ambient temperature was about 22 degrees.

Does this sound normal?

• Member For: 20y 19d

Get your crank angle sensor checked for the starter problem. Mines been replaced once, needs to be replaced again.:smilielol:

Damo

:spoton:

• Member For: 19y 9m 6d

Next time it does it, try pouring some water on the crank angle sensor if it starts straight away then get the sensor replaced.

This works on dunnydores so I cant see a reason why it should not work on the T

Ken

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d
Where do I find the crank angle sensor?

It sits on your timing case, it reads off a "sprocket" located behind your harmonic balancer/engine dampner.

Or somewhere down there anyway...... :spoton: :lol:

• The Best Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 10d

Mine usually sits just before the half way mark. I wouldn't be worried about the temperature guage being on the half way mark because when you turn the engine off it usually heats up a little bit above the running temperature. Whenever I turn off the engine for a little while, then turn it back on, it's usually at the half way mark.

• Crusty aviator
  • Member For: 19y 10m 1d

11 O'clock on the guage, never seems to move from there.

Crank angle sensor sounds the deal - had the same thing on the wife's Commodore. Like our cat it responds well to a eatering can of cold water on it!

Dingah

• Bloody Orange Team (BOT)
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 29d

Mine hovers at around 11 o'clock on ther guage aswell. Hit's halfway on very hot days with a bit of full throttle action, but doesn't go past. However I have seen it at more than half way after having the car turned off then a few minutes later, turned of again. But this has happened very very rarely. Usually on very hot days. No starting problems to speak off here.