Quarter mile times wanted

TurboDewd

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 27d
Geeseman,

what were these cars designed to do ?? Do you honestly believe that the likes of Motor & Wheels do not launch the test cars as hard as possible with a view to giving the layperson an indication of what the car WILL do.

Based on philosophy when you next have a red light battle do you say to the guy in the HSV/SS/WRX " no stalling or clutch dumps" just clean racing ?

PSI

Yes, I think they do simply floor the car without stalling. This is why cars wth well over 300fwkw still only do 13's and people with 330kw fords are doing 12's.

When you stall the car you bring so many other factors into play - how much weelspin you have, how high you stall the motor etc. Even conditions is what they conduct the tests under in most cases, and im very sure it doesnt include stalling.

If you think it's great, then fine. I can imagine why so may people with modded cars are having tranny problems in the search for whiplash :spoton:

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 25d

Guys rather than keep guessing the answer to this, I have just emailed motor mag and asked them how they perform 0-400m testing and whether or not they stall up autos or dump clutches or just gun it from a standing start.

I will post the reply as soon as I get it.

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 11d
Guys rather than keep guessing the answer to this, I have just emailed motor mag and asked them how they perform 0-400m testing and whether or not they stall up autos or dump clutches or just gun it from a standing start.

I will post the reply as soon as I get it.

Dean sometimes you are wise beyond your years. :w00t2:

Geea. :wub:

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 11d

Its easy Mack.

1) Foot on brake.

2) Get revs to 2000rpm

3) On green let go of brake while putting right boot through the floor.

4) Hold on for next 13.8 seconds

5) Commence braking.

Must be doing wonders for your trans and driveline, not to mention the tyres.. Not to mention that it's really a fake indication of what the car is really capable of.

I'd be that none of the motor mags do this sort of thing when they conduct 400m runs.

Hey Geeseman. I honestly dont know what this is doing to my driveline. I know that the auto still feels the same as when it was first modded and I seem to be having no problems with any other aspects of the driveline. I believe that the transmission fluid takes most of the strain and heats up. I have a big transcooler for this purpose. Like I said this is only what I believe. As for the tyres I dont do big burnouts and have no wheelspin when racing as this slows the times. I didnt change my tyres till about 25000km's when I needed to change 2. This was after numerous trips to the drags. No doubt I would have gotten more out of them if I didn't drag race the car but I get alot of enjoyment from doing this.

I have stopped hunting cars on the road and now run motor bikes. I don't win all the time but I hold my own.

I'm looking forward to Heathcote on the 14th August. Dean is lending me some V8 supercar slicks to use against the LS1 boys.

Geea. :w00t2:

• Lifetime Members

Ok people, don't say Motor isn't efficient!

G'day Dean,

There's no set way to do the testing but generally, the car allows us, we will stall up the auto. Some autos cut power if you're on the throttle and brake pedal at the same time, so we just jump on the throttle in these.

The launch technique for a manual depends on how much power it's got, where the drive is going and what the surface condition is like. For example, launching a rear-drive or front-drive at Avalon airport (grippy concrete surface) I'll use more revs than if I was at Calder or Oran Park. Using something like a V8 Late model camira for example, I like to use about 2500-2800rpm but dump the clutch and feed in lots of power right away. One of the other guys hear like to use more revs, slip the clutch but not dump it and feed the power in more carefully.

The times are remarkably close (13.97 is my best in an SS to 13.99 for Deano).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jesse Taylor

editor

MOTOR

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, 20 July 2004 7:16 PM

To: Motor

Subject: 0-400 meter testing

Hi guys,

I am writing to ask a question on how you perform your 0 - 400m testing on cars for stories.

We have a thread going on fordxr6turbo.com and some people are saying that you guys don't stall up the autos or dump the clutches on manuals when testing, instead you just take off as normal.

I would have thought that stalling up the car would give a true indication of it's performance.

Thanks for clearing this up for us, and keep up the great work.

Regards,

Dean.

• Lifetime Members

Note, for what it's worth guys, there you have it , they have run an SS under 14's twice with different drivers! I guess the stories are true.

Sorry for going off topic, back to the times :w00t2:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 27d

Good work, xrdreaming.

Still this makes for very uneven ground when racing cars together and doesn't make sense considering the poor times of cars like the 370kw CSV Late model camira only doing 13's in PCOTY, as well as the Lambo. Either the drivers of these cars are hopeless at stalling the car, or it's not capable of doing so.

Take the Audi RS, 330KW 0-100 in under 5 seconds but does 13's on the 400. A 330kw falcon is slower over the 0-100 but kicks it in the 400's. Smells like no stalling for the RS to me...(mind you the RS is AWD)

Guest Big Mick
  • Guests
Sorry for going off topic, back to the times :wtf:

No need to be sorry Dean, if only all the other questions asked on the Forums could be answered as quickly and efficiently as that one. :wtf:

Mick

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 15d

Guys, I have noticed that all the replies have been from Autos. Has anyone out there with over 260 RWKW's in a manual tried the 1/4 ??

The reason I want to know is that I am going to Willowbank (QLD) tonight (weather permitting) with nearly 300 RWKW in a manual ute and I would love a tip on how they have got their car off the line in an efficient manner because I am buggered if I can !! It is times like this I would love an auto - makes it a whole lot easier! I don't want to come back here tomorrow to report anything less than a low 12 due to traction issues........................

One other thing with that too, I have to change from 2nd to third short at around 5000rpm because the 'box is a little recalcitrant at higher loadings! Damn series 1's ! :)