XR6ISM

• ASHA - Anti Stooge Hunter Association
  • Member For: 20y 10m 9d

basically, I normally wouldnt put one in, but I was given an apexi turbo timer for my birthday last week........so I figure, if I got it for free, why not install it !!

either way, if you guys are interested, ill let you know how it goes, otherwise, no worries..........:)

• Forum Superhero
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 24d
dont agree with your comment about not needing timers, I know they are oil and water cooled but they still get hot...........a couple months ago I took my car for a "HARD" cruise through the national park. When I got to stanwell and parked, my turbo was glowing.

From what I have read, its not good to turn the car off whilst the turbo is still THAT hot.

Turbo's have come along way in recent years particularly from a development perspective. Better design, better oils and better setups have basically removed the "Unreliable' factor that used to be apparent in the late 80's.

These days most turbo's will go through a fair bit of punishment before requiring replacement, way past 100,000k's.

Apart from the other issues mentioned by the guys' (illegal etc) you really would only consider letter your T idle if you had been giving it it's limits for extended period of time. Even then you could drive your last little bit slowly and then idle for 2 minutes and that would be fine.

Personally I let mine roll down my street in netural then idle for about 30 secs if I have been giving it a hard time. :k24t:

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 3d
basically, I normally wouldnt put one in, but I was given an apexi turbo timer for my birthday last week........so I figure, if I got it for free, why not install it !!

either way, if you guys are interested, ill let you know how it goes, otherwise, no worries..........:)

Me interested

Scotty CCC

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 6d

I would be very suprised if you could get a TT to work in a T. The imobiliser would turn the car off the second you removed the key from the ingnition.

I have had 6 turbo cars and only had one Turbo timer and that was removed 2 days after I got it because it would not work with the alarm.

Just spend 1 min with the car idling or drive slowly the last 1/2km. :spoton:

• ASHA - Anti Stooge Hunter Association
  • Member For: 20y 10m 9d

Zap to be honest, I dont see how its going to work either, ive actually got Unigroup in syd looking into it.....if it works ill post up as much info as possible on how it was done, and some pics too....if it doesnt work then im back to the standing next to my car while it idles :)

Ill let you know how I go scotty, it should be in by sat arvo this week

Guest Stef@ChipTorque
  • Guests

We have fitted a turbo timer to a customers vehicle at his request. The only problem you have is that you have to lock the vehicle with the key while the timer is on. If you do this it works fine. The remote will work as normal when the timer is not counting down. The one we fitted was a Blitz DTT digital compact which is a turbo timer and boost gauge in one.

• Phantom lives
  • Member For: 19y 11m 30d

ive got a timer and they say you dont need one. but they also say it doesnt hurt to have one so go for it I say. mine is fitted under the tissue box. and my insurer will cover the car still.my insurer is s#nco#p. and yes just lock the car with your key. no proffesional thief is gonna try to jump into a locked car that is running with no keys in it lets face it their not that stupid........

• EVO 9 SUPPORTER
  • Member For: 21y 23d

I also have a turbo timer fitted. It does not affect the smart lock but you cant lock the car until it has finished. You can lock it with the key though. But you cant lock it with the remote. I also have an aftermarket alarm, but I just wait until the turbo timer turns off and turn the alarm on. I had someone install it professionally so if you want their details I can let you know.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d

Not really.

Ford has built some "after shutdown thermo syphon" thing that feeds water to the turbo after the engine is switched off or sumfing like that......

Do what I do, just dont boost it before you know you are about to shut it down.

Let it sit and idle down for a minute or two, then all will be good!

:smilielol: