How To Remove Centre Console- Fg

TURBOXR

• I miss her...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 9d

1. Remove tissue box holder. Easy- grasp at front and pull rearwards. Its only clipped in.

2. Undo the 2 bolts shown. 8mm socket.

IMG_0784.jpg

3. Remove the forward panels on each side of the console. Gently prise out at pointy end shown and it clips out.

IMG_0785.jpg

4. Undo bolt shown on both sides. 8mm socket.

IMG_0786.jpg

5. Remove cup holder/top cover by prising it up from the rear and poping each glip out gently. Remember to disconnect the power scource and aux input wiring before removing completely.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

6. Remove handbrake boot. If you look from the passenger side you will see the small clips running along the top edge of the console. Gently prise these out. It may take a little bit of force as there is some glue sealing it up. Once the top edge is away from the console pull up toward the top of the car and the two clips will come free allowing the boot to come off. Pull it over the handbrake lever and its done. The grip for the lever is only held on by friction, so if you want to you can slide it off as well.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

7. Undo the three bolts around the auto surround. 8mm socket. Also undo all the phillips head screws you can see holding the console in.

IMG_0793.jpg

9. Slide both seats forward and you will see these small panels on each side.

IMG_0796.jpg

Prise them open with a small flathead screw driver from the top corner. Undo the bolts. 8mm Socket.

IMG_0798.jpg

10. The whole body of the console can now be lifted. There are a few clips holding it down so a little bit of force may be required.

Slide the console slighty rearward so you can lift the auto surround upward- be carefull not to damage the small wiring connecter that plugs into the bottom of it for the illumination. Once you have disconnected it either tape it up somewhere out of the way or trace it back to the other end (Its only a few inches long) and disconnect it completely and remove it. This will avoid snagging it and damaging it later on like I did. It was easily fixed but an annoyance nonetheless.

IMG_0811.jpg

As far as I could tell, you can not remove the leather boot from the auto knob, so just lift the whole surround up and pull it over so its not in the way.

To lift the console completly out easily it is neccassary to disconnect the handbrake so the lever can be raised vertically.

IMG_0804.jpg

It is however possible to remove it without disconnecting the handbrake as I did. Just do it with two people, one in the back raising the rear of the console- the other in the front pushing outwards on each side of the console spears so they dont foul on the ICC. You'll need to move it forward, then up and back so you can 'unhook' it from the handbrake lever.

And you are done!

IMG_0807.jpg

Install is the exact opposite.

Edited by TURBOXR

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member For: 13y 5m 8d

nice write up.

Doesnt look like any magic voids in there to stick communications/audio components.

I put my HD TV tuner in between the drinks holder void and centre armrest bin in the actual console. Makes for easy access to the USB input to plug in my Flash Drive for recording and watching movies. The flash drive sits in the iPod pouch with the iPod.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Member For: 12y 2m 28d

Thanks for the details guide. I used it today when I was installing the AIM as the instructions that came with it weren't very clear.

I got stuck on the lifting of the actual main console part because it wouldn't clear the hand brake lever. The AIM instructions said you had to disconnect the handbrake to allow for the handle to swing to a near vertical position but I notice on your picture your hand brake lever was in the same position as mine.

Did you have trouble clearing the lever?

• 4 weeks later...
  • I miss her...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 9d

Just a quick update on this.

As far as I could tell, you can not remove the leather boot from the auto knob, so just lift the whole surround up and pull it over so its not in the way.

Turns out you can. And its ridiculously easy. Cant believe I missed it.

To remove the auto shifter-

Slide down the leather boot from the base of the knob. Then slide down the plastic end piece- no screw or clips it just reqires a little force.

DSC01020.jpg

Remove the small u-clip from the shaft, just under where the boot would meet the knob. Once that's off then the knob just slides off.

DSC01021.jpg

And the knob removed.

DSC01006.jpg

Once the knob is off the boot will be easy to remove. Would make life a lot easier when removing the centre console.

Edited by TURBOXR

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 10y 10m 9d

Excellent post

My g6e won't function in sport or sequential mode. Fuses are are all happy. Before I explore under the shifter do you think I'll find a potential loose terminal (culprit) under there or are the simple wire terminals generally rock solid ??

Go exploring or look elsewhere such as a ZF module fault ?

Cheers