Which Gbox & Why? 6 Speed Man Or 6 Speed Auto?

CETFLY

• Member For: 14y 4m

Hey everyone

Well....Im looking to buy a BF Mk II XR6T.

Not sure whether to be chasing a 6 speed auto, or 6 speed manual.

I'd like to know the reasons for peoples choices in gbox's.

Here are some reasons I see-

6 speed man:

a)More fun in wet and dry.

b) More control in aforementioned scenarios.

c)More control over boost and can feather the clutch when/if needed

d) Have heard manuals are more fuel efficient and poss sit at lower revs in 6th compared to auto? (clarification would be good on this point)

6 speed Auto:

a)Hard, instant launching

b)Laziness- lets be honest here! Its so good not having to be gear changing in peak hour with a heavy clutch (if its needed for your mods)

c) Smoothness and the ability for faster gear changes while still accelerating the car forward, compared to manual

Any more? If youre experienced in this area with stats and facts, please, for my sake and others, feel free to help us out.

If its personal choice - eg: I used to own a 6 speed man, then went back to Auto and regretted it, then that sort of thing I'd love to hear about also and your reasons.

How well, in tiptronic mode, does the 6 speed auto control its gear changes? (Ive been driving an 03 Fairmont 4 speed auto and it doesnt inspire confidence in manual mode, so would be interested to hear from people who've gone up to the 6 speed from the 4 speed also.

Cheers!

Wes

Guest Al@n
  • Guests

Really quite a personal choice. 6 speed auto is faster, and more fuel efficient. 6 speed manual better resale more fun and requires greater skill to drive quickly (that al getem goin). Cheers.

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 24d

I've had both auto and manual mate... Drive em both...

Manual is more fun, but it's also more frusterating when guys in autos with much less power can drag you on cruises!

If you get a manual and go big power you will just need a clutch as the t56 is a strong box...

The auto... Who knows? Some people have broken them with 350rwkw and others have 400+ and are still going strong... They are VERY expensive to service ($500+ish) cause the oil is so expensive...

Manual mode in an auto is much better once it's been tuned... However, the shift pressure points are not tuneable yet in a zf(well, supposedly sct reckons it's coming... but it's been two years coming)...I am speaking from BTR experience... Once they can do that in a zf, manual mode will be much more fun and a bit more like a manual...

If you want a faster car, go auto...

If you want a drivers car, go manual...

If you can't choose... Take them for test drives...

Edited by Worm
  • Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 2d

b)Laziness- lets be honest here! Its so good not having to be gear changing in peak hour with a heavy clutch (if its needed for your mods)

Mal Wood Opt3+ Clutch in mine, and it is stupidly light. Lighter than my brothers stock BF MkI clutch.

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 27d

Go for the manual, solely for clutch kicking. An auto will never be as exciting as the t56. Not to mention if you start chasing big power the lack of tuneability, the high cost of rebuilding and no way of fitting a decent stallie.

And in peak hour you can leave them in 2nd or 3rd and they still pull from walking pace.

• Like 1

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 22d

How well, in tiptronic mode, does the 6 speed auto control its gear changes? (Ive been driving an 03 Fairmont 4 speed auto and it doesnt inspire confidence in manual mode, so would be interested to hear from people who've gone up to the 6 speed from the 4 speed also.

Very well and practically instant...more 'instant' than 99.8% of drivers could manage in a manual. The only time it won't perform as commanded is:

- if changing down to a lower gear would push the revs over the limiter (in that case it will change down as soon as safe to do so)

- it will kick-down a gear automatically in an emergency, say 4th gear 20km/h and you plant your foot to suddenly accelerate.

- when coming to a complete stop it will drop back to 2nd gear

In regards to economy I think the ZF now pips the manual in that regard, especially highway cruising as in top gear it's barely more than idling at 100km/h.

But yeah, take one of each for a decent drive. Most people that get a ZF don't regret it. :innocent:

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 29d

Yea personal preference should be what makes your decision. I know an auto is quicker and easier to drag than my manual but I love the manual and wouldnt settle for anything else. Took me 6 months to get the manual as all else were auto and I am glad I waited.

Also the clutch aint that heavy. What are your plans for the car and what are you gonna be doing with it?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 9d

You may also consider that finding premium kit is harder to find in cars equipped with a manual as the more kitted BFs are with the ZF. (well it was when I was looking)

Saying that, sometimes I regret not having a manual when going for spirited drives but the auto is more than capable of changing gears at the correct time especially in performance mode after 10 minutes of hard driving as it learns your driving and shifts accordingly.

One major con is that after reading a few people having problems with their autos, it is very expensive to fix so keeping the oil fresh when modded is recommended.

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 27d

Also a stock T with a manual is faster than a Stock ZF from 60, 80, and 100km/h.